This SharePoint article we will discuss how to migrate content from SharePoint on-premise to SharePoint Online or OneDrive using the free SharePoint migration tool from Microsoft.
Before knowing about the Migration tool we need to know what is SharePoint Migration?
Migration in the process where will migrate content from one environment to another environment. The environment can be any previous version of SharePoint or file system etc.
Imagine your organisation or your company is using SharePoint 2010 and now decided to use SharePoint online. in this case you need to migrate your existing contents from your SharePoint 2010 environment to your SharePoint online environment.
Introduction to SharePoint migration tool
Microsoft provides a free tool called SharePoint Migration tool where we can easily migrate our file from on-premise to SharePoint Online or OneDrive.
SharePoint migration tool is a free tool from Microsoft which you can use to migrate content from various SharePoint on-premises environments and network and local file share to SharePoint Online and OneDrive.
Below are the SharePoint On-premises environments and File shares that support migration using the SharePoint migration tool.
- SharePoint server 2016
- SharePoint server 2013 and SharePoint foundation 2013
- SharePoint server 2010 and SharePoint Foundation 2010
- Network and file shares
Recently Microsoft also acquired Mover which is a migration tool that supports migration from various cloud service providers like Dropbox, Google Drive, Box to SharePoint Online, and OneDrive.
SharePoint Migration Tool Download and Installation
The SharePoint migration tool allows migrating content from SharePoint Server 2013 to SharePoint Online and OneDrive. But now also it supports, migrate content from SharePoint server 2010 to SharePoint Online and OneDrive.
Apart from this also, it helps to migrate Network and local file shares contents to SharePoint Online and OneDrive.
Before using the SharePoint migration tool, we need to download and install the SharePoint migration tool.
- Download SharePoint Migration Tool
- Download SharePoint Migration Tool Public Preview (Supports SharePoint server 2010)
Migrate local file shares to SharePoint Online using SharePoint Migration Tool
In this example I will show you how to migrate content from file share to SharePoint Online using free SharePoint migration tool.
Open the Migration tool in your system. Enter your Office 365 credentials. A Welcome to SharePoint Migration Tool page will open. Click on “Start your first migration”.
Below, I have taken one example of how to migrate the files from local system to SharePoint online using the SharePoint Migration tool.
Choose the file in local system which you want to migrate in the Select Source Page.
In the Select destination page give the SharePoint online site URL. Click on Next.
Select the Document Library from the dropdown where we want to migrate the local folder. Click on Next.
Now we will get the Review migration page where we can see both our source and destination page. Click on Next.
Click on Migrate in the Choose your settings page.
We will get the below page. It will take time to migrate.
After the Migration action is completed we will get the below screenshot. Click on Save to Save the Migration details.
You may like following SharePoint migration tutorials:
- Google G Suite to Office 365 migration tools rolled out by Microsoft
- Office 365 Import Tool Perfect Option for PST to Office 365 Migration
- Migrate files or documents from File Shares to SharePoint Online document library Using FREE Microsoft SharePoint Migration Tool
- Steps to Migrate email from one Office 365 tenant to another Office 365 tenant
- How to Backup Office 365 Mailboxes Emails and Data – eDiscovery Tool
- Sync SharePoint Online Document Library with OneDrive and Work with Files Offline
- Why Companies are Switching from Google Apps to Office 365
- Office 365 Export – Take 100% Backup Office 365 Mailbox to PST Easily
- Best Methods to Share all Google Docs with Another Account Stepwise
In this SharePoint Migration tutorial, we discussed how to use the SharePoint Migration Tool. We will see how to migrate the local folder SharePoint online site.
I am Bijay a Microsoft MVP (8 times – My MVP Profile) in SharePoint and have more than 15 years of expertise in SharePoint Online Office 365, SharePoint subscription edition, and SharePoint 2019/2016/2013. Currently working in my own venture TSInfo Technologies a SharePoint development, consulting, and training company. I also run the popular SharePoint website EnjoySharePoint.com