This SharePoint tutorial explains, how to solve “the list is too large to save as a template. the size of a template cannot exceed 52428800 bytes” in SharePoint Online or SharePoint 2016/2013/2010. The error comes while saving a list as a template in SharePoint.
Recently I was trying to save the SharePoint list as a template with content. But it gave error as Sorry, something went wrong. The list is too large to save as a template. The size of a template cannot exceed 52428800 bytes.
The full error message looks like below:
The solution will work for any issues below:
- the list is too large to save as a template
- SharePoint the list is too large to save as a template
- increase template size limit SharePoint online
- increase maximum size of list template SharePoint 2013
- the list is too large to save as a template SharePoint 2013
- the list is too large to save as a template SharePoint online
- the list is too large to save as a template the size of a template cannot exceed 524288000 bytes
- the list is too large to save as a template. the size of a template cannot exceed 52428800 bytes.
By default SharePoint 2013/2016, allows the list template or site template can be maximum of 50MB.
So if your list size is more than 50MB, then the above error will come. In SharePoint on-premises like SharePoint 2016/2013, we can change the Size from 50MB to more than that.
We can increase it using the stsadm command as well as by using PowerShell command. The below command will increase the size limit from 50MB to 200MB. The value in the parameter will take in bytes.
Increase List Template Size using STSADM
Below is the STSADM command to increase the SharePoint list template size in SharePoint 2013/2016.
stsadm -o setproperty -propertyname max-template-document-size -propertyvalue 209715200
Increase List Template Size using PowerShell
Below is the PowerShell command to increase the SharePoint list template size in SharePoint 2013/2016.
Add-PSSnapin Microsoft.SharePoint.Powershell $webservice = [Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPWebService]::ContentService $webservice.MaxTemplateDocumentSize = 209715200 $webservice.Update()
The above cmdlets will increase the limit for both list template size as well as site template size. This way we increase the maximum size of the list templates in SharePoint 2010/2013/2016.
In SharePoint Online, we can not change the list template size. If you got this error then you need to make sure whether you want to take the full content or not. Or you can take save the list as a template without content. Or you can remove a few items or documents from the list or document library to make it less than 50MB.
You may like following SharePoint list tutorials:
- Delete All items from the SharePoint List using PnP core CSOM Library Programmatically
- Add SharePoint 2016/2013 List/Library Columns to view programmatically using the server object model in Visual Studio 2017
- PowerApps submit the form to SharePoint Online list
- SharePoint Online Modern List: Explore 11 New Features
- Change SharePoint Online/2013/2016 List Column Order
- SharePoint Unique Permissions to List & Document Library in SharePoint Online Step by Step Tutorial
- Working with Survey List in SharePoint 2016/2013 or SharePoint Online
- Create, Update and Delete SharePoint List using Rest API in SharePoint 2013/2016/Online
- Retrieve SharePoint list items programmatically using jsom, rest API and csom in SharePoint Online/2016/2013
- Create a list from list template in SharePoint Online 2013 programmatically
- How to use MOSS 2007 list template in SharePoint 2013?
We can not increase the list template size in SharePoint Online. But if you are trying to increase the list template size in SharePoint 2016/2013/2010, we can do using PowerShell or STSADM.
Hope this will be helpful to resolve the error, the list is too large to save as a template the size of a template cannot exceed 52428800 bytes which come in SharePoint Online or SharePoint 2016/2013.
Hello Everyone!! I am Bhawana a SharePoint MVP and having about 10+ years of SharePoint experience as well as in .Net technologies. I have worked in all the versions of SharePoint from wss to Office 365. I have good exposure in Customization and Migration using Nintex, Metalogix tools. Now exploring more in SharePoint 2016 🙂 Hope here I can contribute and share my knowledge to the fullest. As I believe “There is no wealth like knowledge and no poverty like ignorance”