In this SharePoint tutorial, we will discuss what is a SharePoint list view? How to create a list view in SharePoint Online or SharePoint 2019/2016/2013? We will also see how to modify a custom SharePoint list view, sharepoint online modern list view formatting, and how to delete a SharePoint list view?
What is a List View in SharePoint?
SharePoint uses views to show list or library data. Whenever a list or library is created by default at least one view got created. For a list, the default view comes as All Items and for a document library, the default view comes as All Documents.
Apart from that, you can create custom views for a list or document library to organize and show items. In a custom view, you can add filtering, sorting, styling, etc. Apart from this, you can also create your own personal views which only you can view, and others cannot. But you can create public views which can be visible to other users.
This will be the same for both the SharePoint list and the document library.
We can the SharePoint list view to display items that make sense to you according to your business requirement.
We will see here how to create and customize SharePoint list views in modern experience as well as classic sites.
SharePoint online modern list view
Here we will see how the modern list view looks like creating a new list view in a SharePoint document library or list.
If you are new to the modern experience, then a view will look like below.
Now, let us see how to create a view in a modern SharePoint list or library.
Click on All Documents -> Click on Create new view like below:
It will open a dialog box, enter the view name, which kind of view you want to create, List, Calendar, Gallery. If you want to make the view a public view then you can check the checkbox “Make this a public view“.
Then click on the Create button. This will create the view without any condition or filtering.
SharePoint online modern list view formatting
Now we will see some formatting options in the modern list view. If you want to add additional columns to the list view then click on + Add column -> Show/hide columns like below:
Then you can select the column that you want to add. If you want to change the order, then hover the column name and use the up and down symbol to change the order in the SharePoint modern list view.
This is how to show or hide columns in a SharePoint modern list view.
SharePoint online modern list view filter by current user
Now, let us see, how to do filter by the current user in SharePoint online modern list view. Let us say we want to filter documents based on a Prepared By column which is a people picker column.
Here we want to filter all the documents by the logged-in user based on the prepared by column. It should display all the documents that are prepared by the logged-in user.
Open the SharePoint list view, then click on the column (Prepared By) -> Filter By.
In the modern list, you can select the @Me, or even you have the option to filter based on a particular user.
Now, you can see it will display all the documents that were Prepared By the login user. To save the view, click on the view name and click on Save view as like below:
If you want to create a new view, type a new name for the view and then click on the Save button.
This is how to filter SharePoint modern list view by current user. If you want to filter SharePoint list view by current user email, then you can use the same approach.
SharePoint online modern list view filter by group
In the same way, we can also filter items or documents based on a SharePoint group. Simply, select the group name in the filter.
Note: Make sure your people picker allows groups as well. Here Test Group is a SharePoint group.
If you are a classic SharePoint developer, you can see the filter will appear like below:
This is how we can filter documents in the list view based on a group.
SharePoint list view distinct values
Do you want to create a sharepoint list view with distinct values or sharepoint list view unique values? Directly, it is not possible without using code. But still, we can use the group by and do it.
For example, here is the SharePoint list view which has a Course Name column. Here we can implement Group By.
Click on the Course Name column and then select Group by Course Name like below:
Now, look at the list view, how it is appearing. It is showing the unique values from the Course Name column.
But this is now a perfect way to implement it.
SharePoint list view filter multiple values
Now, let us see an example of SharePoint list view filter multiple values.
In the modern SharePoint list or library, Microsoft provides a filter panel, where we can see various columns to filter. If the column is not available in the filter pane, then first we need to pin the column to the filter pane.
Select the column -> Column settings -> Pin to filters pane.
After this, the column will be available in the filters pane to use. Here you can see, I have filtered based on the Course Name and Downloadable column.
If you are a classic SharePoint developer, edit the view and you can see the filter section. You can also change the And, Or condition as well.
This is how to filter list view using multiple columns in SharePoint Online.
SharePoint list view filter today
Now, let us see an example of SharePoint list view filter today. Click on the Filter icon and then you can see the Data filters. In this case, If I want to see the documents modified today, then you can use the filter’s like below:
The date sliders will have the below options:
- Modified today
- Modified since yesterday
- Modified in last 7 days
- Modified in last 30 days
- Modified in last 3 months
- Modified since [Year]
If you want to choose a specific date then click on the Select specific dates link and choose a particular date from it.
SharePoint list view filter created date
In the SharePoint Online modern list, we can easily implement a list view filter based on created date.
First, we need to pin the column to the filters pane. For this, select the column and then click on Column settings -> Pin to Filters pane.
Once the column is pinned to the filters pane, then we can filter like below. You can slide it and it will have the below options
- Created since [year]
- Created in last 3 months
- Created in last 30 days
- Created in last 7 days
- Created since yesterday
- Created today
- Created tomorrow
- Created in 7 days
- Created in 30 days
- Created in 3 months
- Created in a year or more
Here you can also filter based on future dates. Let us say, you have an expiry date field, then you can filter the records based on the future date.
You can get documents that are expired in the coming 7 days, 30 days, 3 months, etc.
SharePoint list view greater than today
Now, let us see an example of a sharepoint list view greater than today. Here I have an expiry date column. And I want to filter documents whose expiry date is greater than today.
Click on All documents -> Edit current view. Here navigate to the filter section and modify the logic below:
[Expiry Date] is greater than [Today]
It will return all the documents whose expiry date is greater than today.
SharePoint list view filter by date range
Let us see an example of sharepoint list view filter by date range.
In the modern SharePoint list, click on the view name -> Edit current view and it will open the edit view page.
Here is an example to find out the document whose expiry date is greater than 1st Aug 2021 and less than 15th Aug 2021.
Here we can add the date in MM/DD/YYYY format.
Once you click on OK, you can see only those documents which satisfy the above conditions.
This is how to filter the list by date range in the SharePoint list or document library.
In the same way, if you want to filter documents that are expired in the coming 7 days, then you can write the formula like below:
In the same way, if you want to filter records based on the last week or previous week, write the formula like below:
This is how to filter SharePoint list items based on a date range.
SharePoint list view filter contains
In a SharePoint list view, we can do filter using contains. Edit the current view, go to the Filter section, choose the column and then choose contains and put the text which you want to filter.
In this case I am filtering documents with Name which has SPFx in it. Click on Save.
Now you can see, you will be able to documents whose Name contains “SPFx”.
This is an example of SharePoint list view filter contains.
SharePoint list view group by year or month
In a SharePoint list view, we can do group by by year or month. For this we need to created a calculated column and then we can use the column in the group by.
This will return the month and year from the Expirydate column. You can check out an article on SharePoint calculated column.
This is an example of sharepoint list view group by year and sharepoint list view group by month.
SharePoint list view group by 3 columns
Are you trying to have a sharepoint list view group by 3 columns or sharepoint list view group by more than 2 columns, then it is not possible in SharePoint Online. We cannot have more than 2 columns in the group by in SharePoint listview.
Create a List view in SharePoint (Classic Site)
The list view creation step is the same for a list and document library as well as it is the same for all versions of SharePoint like SharePoint 2010, SharePoint 2013, SharePoint 2016, and SharePoint Online Office 365.
To create a view in a list or library, Open your SharePoint list or library where you want to create a view, click the List or Library tab, and then click Create View as shown in the fig below:
This will open the List View Type page where users can select which view type they want to choose. By default there are 4 types presented:
- Standard View: The standard view is the most popular view type and users can choose from a list of styles available to show the data on a web page.
- Calendar View: As the name suggests this view shows data as a daily, weekly, or monthly calendar.
- Datasheet View: This view is similar to standard view but here you can do bulk update operations directly on the view page.
- Gantt View: SharePoint list Gantt view shows a list of items in a Gantt chart to see a graphical representation.
For this example, we will create a standard view. So choose the view type as Standard View like below:
Then in the Create View page fill out the below things:
- Name: Give a descriptive name for the view. Also, you can optionally check the checkbox “Make this the default view” to make this view the default view.
- Audience: You can choose if you want to create a view for yourself or you want to create a public view that will be available to all the users.
- Columns: Choose the columns which you want to display in the view as well as you can change the order of the columns from the Position from Left dropdowns. By default, it will display all the columns presented in the list.
- Sort: You can select your sort based on maximum of two columns like below:
- Filter: You can add your filter criteria to show items that satisfy your filter criteria. You can also give filter criteria to filter based on [Today] or [Me]. Filters are particularly important for lists containing 5,000 or more items because they allow you to work with large lists more efficiently.
You can also check various filter examples in this article.
- Tabular View: Choose whether individual checkboxes for each row should be provided. These checkboxes allow users to select multiple list items to perform bulk operations.
- Group By: You can select up to two columns to determine what type of group and subgroup the items in the view will be displayed. This will be helpful in show data yearly or monthly for example.
Also, you can select if you want to show in Collapsed mode or expanded mode by default.
- Totals: Displays summary calculations for the columns in the view, such as: count, average, maximum, minimum. By setting the title column to Count in a document library, for example, the view will display the number of documents in the view and in the groups in the view.
The columns that are available for totals and the settings available for each column differ depending on the type of column, such as number, and the type of list or library the view is being created for.
- Styles: You can choose from various styles available by default.
- Folders: Select Show items in folders to display the list or library folders in the view with the items. Select Show all items without folders to display only the list or library items in the view, also referred to as a flat view.
- Item Limit: You can set how many items you want to show at once.
- Mobile: You can set Enable this view for mobile access. Also, you can set Make this view the default view for mobile access to make this view the default view when the user opens the view in the mobile.
Once you create the view the view will appear like below, Since we have set the group by here, the view will appear like below:
If you remove the group by then the view that appears will be like below:
Modify SharePoint List View (Classic site)
To modify a view from the Ribbon click on the LIST tab and then click on Modify View, you can also select the current view from the Current View section like below:
Go to the List settings page and then go to the Views section and then select the particular view to edit a view:
Delete SharePoint List View
Follow the above step which we explained to modify the SharePoint list view, then in the Modify View page click on the Delete button. If you have selected the view as Default view then the Delete button option will not come. First, you need to set another view as the default view and then click on Delete to delete the SharePoint list view:
Read some SharePoint customization tutorials:
- Create SharePoint list from excel + programmatically
- CAML Query Builder SharePoint Online
- 60+ SharePoint interview questions and answers
- Create SharePoint Online Modern Page + PnP PowerShell
- How to add Comments to SharePoint Online List Items and Microsoft 365 Lists Items
In this SharePoint tutorial, we learned what is a SharePoint list view? How to create a list view in SharePoint list or document library? And also, we saw how to modify or delete a custom SharePoint list view. In the same way, we can work with list views in SharePoint 2013/2016/2019 or SharePoint Online.
We saw the below examples:
- SharePoint online modern list view
- SharePoint online modern list view formatting
- SharePoint online modern list view filter by current user
- SharePoint online modern list view filter by group
- SharePoint list view distinct values
- SharePoint list view filter multiple values
- SharePoint list view filter today
- SharePoint list view filter created date
- SharePoint list view greater than today
- SharePoint list view filter by date range
- SharePoint list view filter contains
- SharePoint list view group by year or month
- SharePoint list view group by 3 columns
Tags: sharepoint views, sharepoint list views, sharepoint 2013 customize list view, create list view sharepoint 2013, sharepoint 2013 views, sharepoint online views, sharepoint online list view
I am Bijay a Microsoft MVP (8 times – My MVP Profile) in SharePoint and have more than 15 years of expertise in SharePoint Online Office 365, SharePoint subscription edition, and SharePoint 2019/2016/2013. Currently working in my own venture TSInfo Technologies a SharePoint development, consulting, and training company. I also run the popular SharePoint website EnjoySharePoint.com