In this PowerApps Tutorial, We will discuss an error as the function search has some invalid arguments powerapps.
The exact error comes as “The function ‘Search’ has some invalid arguments. Wrong column type. Expects text type“. The error comes while I was using the Power Apps search function.
The function search has some invalid arguments PowerApps
The below screenshot represents the Gallery property that has the Layout as “Title, subtitle, and body“. Also, there is a Choice field that I have used under the Body section.
As per my requirement, I need to search the fields based upon these below columns as:
- “Title”: It is a Text column that represents in the SharePoint List.
- “Organization”: It is also a Text column that contains in the SharePoint List.
- “Department”: It is a Choice column that presents in the SharePoint List.
To search depends upon the above fields, I have written the below formula on the Gallery’s Items property as:
Items = Search('Event Registration Details', SearchBox.Text, "Title", "Organization", "Department")
- ‘Event Registration Details’ = SharePoint List Name
- SearchBox.Text = It is the Text input control Name where the fields to be search that specifies a Text value
- “Title”, “Organization”, “Department” = SharePoint Column Names
When I was using this above formula, that time I was getting an error as “The function ‘Search’ has some invalid arguments. Wrong column type. Expects text type” like the below screenshot.
The function ‘Search’ has some invalid arguments
Here, in this above formula, the main issue is, I have used a Choice Column (“Department“) which does not support the Search function. Instead of the Choice column, I have used a Text Column (“EmailAddress“).
Also, I have changed the Body field as “EmailAddress” in the Gallery Properties as shown below. You can refer the below code as:
Items = Search('Event Registration Details', SearchBox.Text, "Title", "Organization", "EmailAddess")
When I implemented this above correct formula, then the error is solved and it was working perfectly for me.
Important Points to remember in Power Apps Search Function
Below are some important points that you have to remember while using the Power Apps Search Function, So that it may help you to resolve this above type of error in your apps:
- If you are using the Data source as Excel Sheet and there is a space in between the column name as like “Employee Name“, then the column name should be “Employee_x0020_Name” in the formula. (Here, each space specifies as “_x0020_“)
- Similarly, if you are using the Data source like SharePoint, make sure that you have to pass the internal name of the specific column or the column name should be the same as the SharePoint List column name.
- You do not pass the misspelled column name. Suppose, your column name is “Heading“, then do not pass the column name as “heading” otherwise, you will face this type of above issue.
- Another important thing is, whatever you are passing the column, that should be a Text column. If not, then you will face this issue.
- If you are using “;” instead of the normal comma “,” in the Search function formula, then there will be a chance to get the error.
Also, you may like these below Power Apps Tutorials:
- How to use PowerApps Timer Control
- How to reset timer on a button in PowerApps
- How to use PowerApps notify function
- Create People Picker in Power Apps with Combo Box
- How to Create PowerApps GridView
- How to format number as currency in PowerApps
- Various PowerApps Validation Examples
- PowerApps Lower, Upper, and Proper function
In this Power Apps Tutorial, We discussed an error as “The function ‘Search’ has some invalid arguments. Wrong column type. Expects text type“.
I am Bijay from Odisha, India. Currently working in my own venture TSInfo Technologies in Bangalore, India. I am Microsoft Office Servers and Services (SharePoint) MVP (5 times). I works in SharePoint 2016/2013/2010, SharePoint Online Office 365 etc. Check out My MVP Profile.. I also run popular SharePoint web site EnjoySharePoint.com