There will be times when you might want to disable an Office 365 account. In this tutorial, I will show you how to disable a Microsoft 365 account.
Here, we will discuss how to disable an Office 365 account using block sign-in and how to enable a Microsoft 365 account using unblock sign-in features available in Microsoft 365.
Also, we will cover how to delete a Microsoft 365 account and restore an Office 365 account.
Disable Microsoft 365 Account
A Global or Office 365 administrator can disable the Office 365 user account temporarily or permanently for various reasons. Like when the employee leaves the company, at the end of a contract, long-term absences, etc…
Similarly, you can delete the user in Office 365. Once you delete the user account, you can restore deleted users and recover their data, except for calendar items and aliases, for up to 30 days from the deleted users list.
Recently, I got a requirement On SharePoint Online to disable or temporarily block active users in Microsoft 365. Now, I will show you how to disable an Office 365 account. To work around this, follow the below-mentioned steps. Such as:
1. Open your Microsoft admin center [https://admin.microsoft.com] with your respective credentials -> Select Users drop down and click on the Active users.
2. Select your respective user under the “Active users” and click on the Block sign-in option as shown below.
3. Once you click on this option, it will ask you to Save changes [Block this user from signing in]
4. After saving the changes, it will give the pop-up message, i.e., [Abhijeet is now blocked from signing in. They’ll automatically be signed out of all Microsoft services within 60 minutes.]
5. Now, you can try to log in to Microsoft 365 with the disabled user account, But you will get the message, i.e., Pick an account [Your account has been locked. Contact your support person to unlock it, then try again]
6. If you want to fix this issue, select the disable Office 365 account, and click on the Unblock sign-in option.
7. Next, it will give the pop-up message [It may take up to 15 minutes until this user can sign-in again] and click on the Save changes button.
8. Now, your disabled account is unblocked and it may take up to 15 minutes for you to be able to sign in again.
9. This way we can disable the Office 365 account and unblock the Office 365 account.
How to Delete a Microsoft 365 Account
Once an Office 365 account is deleted, it will appear on the Deleted Users page in the Microsoft 365 admin center. It’s possible to recover the account within 30 days following its deletion.
Let’s see how to delete a Microsoft 365 account. To do so, follow the below steps. Such as:
1. Select a specific user account and click on the Delete user button like below.
2. Next, it will give the confirmation window [Delete Diego Siciliani] and click on the Delete user button.
3. Once click on the Delete user, it will take a few seconds to delete the user. Then, it will give a confirmation window as shown below.
4. This way, we can delete the Office 365 account, and we will get deleted user accounts under the Deleted users as in the screenshot below.
5. Also, if you want to restore the user account then select the specific account and select the Restore user button like below.
6. Next, it will ask you to do two things, i.e., [Auto-generate password or Let me create the password and Make this user change their password when they first sign in] -> Click on the Restore button.
7. Once click on the Restore button, it will show the Microsoft 365 account details [Display name, Username, and Password]. Next, you can select the recipients to get the password through the email notification and click on the “Send email and close” button.
8. This is how we can delete or remove the Microsoft 365 account and restore the deleted account. Have a look at the below screenshot for getting a deleted account.
I have also recorded a video on the same topic and uploaded it to my YouTube channel. Have a look at the video:
I trust this SharePoint Online tutorial taught complete information about how to disable an Office 365 account. Here, we discussed how to disable the Microsoft 365 account and how to unblock the disabled Office 365 account. Also, we will cover the below topics. Such as:
- How to Delete a Microsoft 365 Account
- How to Restore a Microsoft 365 Account
You may also like:
- your organization needs more information to keep your account secure office 365
- Microsoft has enabled security defaults to keep your account secure Office 365
- Microsoft 365 change organization name
- rms online is configured for this tenant but is turned off, please turn on in office 365 to enable
I am Bijay a Microsoft MVP (10 times – My MVP Profile) in SharePoint and have more than 17 years of expertise in SharePoint Online Office 365, SharePoint subscription edition, and SharePoint 2019/2016/2013. Currently working in my own venture TSInfo Technologies a SharePoint development, consulting, and training company. I also run the popular SharePoint website EnjoySharePoint.com