Recently, I got a requirement to work on the SharePoint Online left navigation menu customization. The SharePoint left launch navigation menu is a default feature on your SharePoint Online Team sites. Follow this tutorial to get all the SharePoint left navigation menu customization information.
SharePoint Left Navigation Menu Customization
- We can use this SharePoint left navigation menu to get quick access to launch the specific links for effective information.
- The SharePoint left navigation menu should be planned from the perspective of the user’s information.
- Also, it would be best if you remembered that customizing the left navigation menu is not only for presenting the information that you want, but you can also think about the viewer’s point of view.
Customize SharePoint Left Navigation Menu Customization
Here, we will see how to customize a SharePoint Team site left navigation menu customization. Like:
- Add links to quick launch navigation
- How to change the order of the existing links
- How to edit or remove a link in left navigation
- Make a sub link in the quick launch menu
- How to enable site navigation audience targeting
- How to hide the left navigation menu
Now, we will discuss how to customize the SharePoint left navigation menu step-by-step.
Add Links to Quick Launch Navigation
By default, on the site’s left navigation menu, we will get the Pages, lists, and libraries. But you can also add any link to any website or page as per your needs. To do so, follow the below steps. Such as:
1. Open your SharePoint Online Team site [https://tenant.sharepoint.com/sites/sitename] with respective Microsoft credentials -> You can see the quick launch navigation menu on the left side.
2. If you want to customize the left navigation, then you can just scroll down on the quick launch menu until you find the Edit link at the bottom of the home page.
3. When a user wants to add a link to the left navigation, click on the Circled Plus + option and provide the below information on the Add page.
- Choose an option: You can Choose an option like Link, Label, Conversation, Calendar, Notepad, and Planner.
- Address: Provide the link address
- Display name: You can provide the display name
- Open in a new tab: If you want to open the specific link in a new tab, then click on the check box.
4. Once it is done, click on the OK button and make sure you have clicked on the Save button at the bottom of the page.
5. This way, you can get the link under the left navigation. Now, once you click on the specific link, it will redirect to the website and open in a new tab like below.
How to Change the Order of the Existing Links
- If you want to change the order of the quick launch navigation menu, then click on the Ellipses button (…) of the link that you want to move it down or move it up.
How to Edit or Remove a Link in Left Navigation
- Whenever the user wants to edit the specific link or remove the edit link, then select the Edit option under the Ellipses button.
- Similarly, if you want to remove or delete the specific link from the site’s left navigation, then click on the Remove option. Also, select the Save button under the edit option to save the changes.
Make a Sub Link in the Quick Launch Menu
- Now, I will show you how to make a specific link, make it a sub-link, and promote the sublink.
- For that, select the link that you want to make as a sub-link, select the ellipses button, select the “Make sub link” option, and click on the Save button.
- This way, you can make a sublink. To find the sublink, just expand the main link and get the link under it.
- Whenever you want your link normal, just click on the ellipses, select the “Promote sub link” option, and click on the Save button.
How to Enable Site Navigation Audience Targeting
- Here, you noticed one more important thing is “Enable site navigation audience targeting” [You can enable or disable site navigation audience targeting to promote content to a specific audience].
- Now, select the specific link, click on the Edit option, and select the respective group under the “Audience to target” box [You can select up to 10 audience groups]. Then, click on the Save button.
How to Hide or Disable the Left Navigation Menu
By default, we will get the left navigation menu in the SharePoint Online Team site to easily access the site information. But you can also hide or disable this feature on the SharePoint home page. To achieve it, follow the below steps.
1. On the SharePoint site Home page -> Click on the Gear icon -> Select Site information under Settings -> Select View all site settings under the Site information page like below.
2. On the Site Settings page, click on the Navigation Elements button under the Look and Feel selection.
3. Next, uncheck the Enable Quick Launch option and click on the OK button.
4. Look at the screenshot below showing how the SharePoint site home page appears without quick launch navigation.
SharePoint site’s left navigation menu is a very simple and useful feature for user experience and efficiency. This tutorial taught us about the customization of the SharePoint Online left navigation menu.
You may also like:
- Customize a SharePoint Online Site
- SharePoint Calendar Color Code
- How To Add A Calendar In SharePoint?
I am Bijay a Microsoft MVP (10 times – My MVP Profile) in SharePoint and have more than 17 years of expertise in SharePoint Online Office 365, SharePoint subscription edition, and SharePoint 2019/2016/2013. Currently working in my own venture TSInfo Technologies a SharePoint development, consulting, and training company. I also run the popular SharePoint website EnjoySharePoint.com