In this Power BI Tutorial, we will discuss what is the difference between Power BI Free, Pro, and Premium.
Also, We will see, for a particular user, which type of Power BI License he/she needs to share the report with others in an Organization.
Before using the Power BI Tool, an end-user might think that what type of Power BI Service he/she should use and what are the benefits he/she will get. Here, We will learn all the types of Power BI licensing.
Power BI Free
- Power BI Free License is the type of license where a user can sign up by registering this link: Power BI Free License
- By using a Free license, a user can get 10GB of storage in the cloud. 1GB is the maximum size of the Power BI Report that can be hosted in the cloud.
- The most important thing to use Power BI Free license is, a Power BI Report can refresh up to 8 times per day with an interval of 30 minutes between each refresh.
- This free version is used only for own self-analysis, also, no need to distribute your self-analysis to other users. You can get some connectivity options like Power BI Gateway, Power BI Direct Query, Live connection, etc.
Disadvantages of Power BI Free License
Also, there are some disadvantages to use the free version such as:
- A user cannot share any Power BI Report or Dashboard to others.
- A user cannot create App Workspaces.
Power BI Pro License
- Power BI Pro License is used for the individual user only. Those users who have Power BI Pro License, they can connect to hundreds of data sources on-premises and in the cloud.
- Let’s take an example. Suppose, in your organization, 30 people are using the Power BI tool. So in this case, you need to buy 30 licenses of Power BI Pro which will give the users full access to create Power BI Reports and Dashboards.
- In your organization, if there are a lot of users who are using the Power BI tool, then in that case Power BI Pro can become more expensive. Instead of Power BI Pro, you can use Power BI Premium License Service.
- The main advantage of Power BI Pro is, you can share the Power BI reports, Power BI Dashboards with others who have a Power BI Pro License.
- By using Power BI Pro service, a user can also create App workspaces. 10GB is the Data Storage Limit per pro user.
Power bi free vs pro
The below table represents the difference between Power BI Free and Pro License. Understand power bi free vs pro.
|Power BI Free||Power BI Pro|
|Create reports and Dashboards||Yes||Yes|
|Publish to web||Yes||Yes|
|Publish to SharePoint||No||Yes|
|Data Capacity||10 GB||10 GB|
|Maximum size (Data model)||1 GB||1 GB|
|Connect to 70+ Data Sources||Yes||Yes|
|Export to PowerPoint, Excel, CSV||Yes||Yes|
|Schedule Refresh||8 per day (24 hours)||8 per day (24 hours)|
|Minimum time interval between two refresh||30 minutes||30 minutes|
|Data streaming||1 Million rows per hour||1 Million rows per hour|
|Embed APIs and controls||No||Yes|
|Analyze in Excel, Analyze in Power BI Desktop||No||Yes|
Power BI Premium
- Like a Power BI Free or Pro license, this Power BI Premium license is not an individual user-based license. The Power BI Premium license provides a large capacity for all users in the organization.
- The maximum size of a Power BI Premium license is 50 GB and the size of Data storage is 100 TB.
- With a premium Power BI license, you can make an app from the reports and dashboards and share it with users, who just can have a free license to use them.
- Power Bi premium license also allows users to view and interact with reports and Dashboards hosted on a Premium workspace, with just a free license.
Power bi pro vs premium
Microsoft provides a very good comparision table of Power bi pro vs premium. It listed all the features available in Power BI pro as well as Power BI premium.
Power BI Pro is available in Office 365 Enterprise E5 subscription.
At the time of publishing this blog, a Power BI Pro license costs around $9.99 per user per month. Similarly, a Power BI Premium license costs $4,995 per month for the entire organization.
You can have a look at Power bi pro vs premium.
Also, you may like below Power BI tutorials:
- Power BI Data Analysis Expressions (DAX) Tutorial
- Power BI Query Group Tutorial
- Get Month Name from Month Number in Power BI
- How to Create Report in Power BI from SharePoint List
- Power bi conditional column example
- Power BI report using People Picker Field
- Get Next Month Sales Report in Power BI
- Export Power BI Reports to Excel
- How to share Power BI Dashboard and Report
- What is the difference between calculated column and measure in Power BI
- How to create and use Power BI Bookmarks
In this Power BI Tutorial, we understand power bi free vs pro and also we checked Power bi free vs pro vs premium.
I am Bijay from Odisha, India. Currently working in my own venture TSInfo Technologies in Bangalore, India. I am Microsoft Office Servers and Services (SharePoint) MVP (5 times). I works in SharePoint 2016/2013/2010, SharePoint Online Office 365 etc. Check out My MVP Profile.. I also run popular SharePoint web site EnjoySharePoint.com