In this Power BI Tutorial, We will discuss what is Power BI Data Labels, What is the use of Data Labels in Power BI.
Also, We will see how do you get Data Labels and how to format the Data Labels in Power BI.
By taking one simple example, I will explain to you that how you can use the Power BI Data Labels.
Power BI Data Labels
In this example, I have a SharePoint List named “Product Details“. This list has four columns as:
- Product Name (Title)
- Product Quantity (Number Data type)
- Product Bill Date (Date Data type)
- Product Sales (Number Data type)
This SharePoint List (Product Details) has many items or products as you can see in the below screenshot:
Use of Power BI Data Labels
If you want to show all the values (Numbers) with any Chart. Let me explain to you properly So that you can understand easily.
Suppose, In this example, I want to display all the Product Sales values (Price) in the visualization chart.
So that I can recognize all the products with the Product Sales Price which I will show you practically in the below points.
Add Power BI Data Labels in Visual
Here, I will tell you that how you can add a Data Label in the Power BI Visualization.
Before adding the Data Labels in the Power BI Desktop, You need to follow some below steps as:
If you want to know how to get the SharePoint List from SharePoint Online Site to Power BI Desktop, then you can refer this link: Get SharePoint List to Power BI Desktop
Here in the below screenshot, You can see my Product Details table as shown below:
Once you have added the Product Details table, just format all the Column Data Types as Date, Product Quantity and Product Sales.
Now as per your requirement, Select any chart which is present under the Visualizations section.
For this example, I have taken a Stacked column chart as shown below:
In this chart, I have added the Title column in Legend and Product Sales column in the Value under the Fields section of the visualization.
In the below screenshot, You can see there is no Sales price Data Label is present on each product. I want to view all the data labels on each product.
That’s why Here I have to add the Data Labels in the visualization. Once I have added those columns into the chart, then the chart is looking like the below screenshot:
Read Power BI Pie Chart
Format Power BI Data Labels
To format the Power BI Data Labels in any chart, You should enable the Data labels option which is present under the Format section.
Once you have enabled the Data labels option, then the by default labels will display on each product as shown below.
When you will enable this option, then you can see the below options those are present in the below figure as:
In the Data labels, these below options are present as:
- Color: This option helps to provide the colors to the Data labels.
- Display units: If you want to display the units either Auto, None, Thousands, Millions, Billions or Trillions, then you can use this option.
- Value decimal places: The Value decimal places always should be in Auto mode.
- Orientation: This option helps in which view you want to see the display units either in Horizontal or in Vertical mode.
- Position: This option helps to select your position of the data label units. Suppose, you want to view the data units at the inside end or inside the center, then you can directly select the position from the drop-down as per your choice.
- Overflow text: When you will enable this option, It will help you to view the display unit which is going overflow.
- Text size: If you want to view the Data unit size as more big or small as per your need, then you can use this option.
- Font family: You can select the font family style of Data Labels by using this option. Below are some font family options which is appearing in the below screenshot.
- Show background: If you want to display the background, then you can by enabling this option.
As in the below figure, I have enabled the Show background option, provided the Background color on it and also the Transparency, then it is looking like below:
- Customize series: When you will enable this option, then you can see the Customize series of individual products.
Just have a look at the below screenshot. As I have enabled this option, selected one product as Mobile and also provided a Color as Green.
Then you can see the Mobile display unit is appearing as Green color. Similarly, You can also provide the Value decimal places, its Position, Text size, font family, etc.
Also, You may like the following Power BI tutorials:
- Get Current Month Sales Report using Power BI Measure
- Get Next Month Sales Report in Power BI
- Export Power BI Reports to Excel
- Power BI Data Analysis Expressions (DAX) Tutorial
- Subtraction in Power bi using DAX
- DAX Filter function (Text column) in Power BI
- Microsoft Power BI Error: This content isn’t available
- Power BI Buttons
- Power bi table visualization
- How to change data source in Power Bi
Hence in this Power BI Tutorial, We discussed what is Power BI Data Labels, What is the use of Data Labels in Power BI.
Also, We saw how do you get Data Labels and how to format the Data Labels in Power BI.
I am Bijay from Odisha, India. Currently working in my own venture TSInfo Technologies in Bangalore, India. I am Microsoft Office Servers and Services (SharePoint) MVP (5 times). I works in SharePoint 2016/2013/2010, SharePoint Online Office 365 etc. Check out My MVP Profile.. I also run popular SharePoint web site EnjoySharePoint.com