In this SharePoint tutorial, I will explain the SharePoint client side and server side code. What are various client-side techniques are available in SharePoint 2013/2016/Online? Learn the Difference between client side object model and server side object model in SharePoint 2013/2016/Online.
In SharePoint on-premise environment you have the option to use both SharePoint server side object model code as well as SharePoint client side object model code. But in Office 365 SharePoint Online, you can only use SharePoint client side object model code.
SharePoint Online tutorial contents:
Server-side is only supported in on-premises implementations of SharePoint. Server Object Model core assembly is Microsoft.SharePoint.dll which is installed in the Global Assembly Cache.
You can use Visual Studio 2019/2017/2015 for SharePoint server side development using SharePoint server object model code.
The Server Object Model will be executed in the server side & it provides a rich set of classes in representing & manipulating SharePoint objects. Must be deployed on same farm Server-side object model.
You cannot use the Server Object Model to connect remotely to a SharePoint Server. Like you cannot use the SharePoint server object model code in Office 365 SharePoint Online because Microsoft does not allow us to execute any code on the Server for SharePoint Online.
.Net Managed Object Model
CSOM offers remote APIs to connect to SharePoint environment and perform the operations. It allows access to SharePoint data and features from remote clients. It is introduced in sharepoint2010.
The two core assemblies for the .NET Manage Implementation are
The REST Services in SharePoint offer nearly the same functionality as JSOM. The main advantage of using REST is that you don’t have to add references to any SharePoint libraries or client assemblies. Instead, you make HTTP requests to the appropriate endpoints to retrieve or update SharePoint entities, such as webs, lists, and list items.
You may like following SharePoint Object Model tutorials:
- Add, Update, Delete & Display List items in Gridview Programmatically in SharePoint 2016
- Create, Update and Delete SharePoint List using Rest API in SharePoint 2013/2016/Online
- SharePoint Online Branding: Display List items into a page using AngularJS and REST API in SharePoint online or SharePoint 2016/2013
- Bind SharePoint Online List Data into HTML table using jQuery and Rest API
- SharePoint 2016 Create and Deploy Visual web part using Visual Studio 2015
- Retrieve SharePoint list items programmatically using jsom, rest API and csom in SharePoint Online/2016/2013
- Display SharePoint List Data in a Tabular format using AngularJS in SharePoint Online
- SharePoint 2013 Filtering and sorting of List data using AngularJS and REST API
- Various ways to add an item into a SharePoint 2013 List
Hope this SharePoint tutorial explains how to use SharePoint server side code and client side code.
Hello Everyone!! I am Bhawana a SharePoint MVP and having about 10+ years of SharePoint experience as well as in .Net technologies. I have worked in all the versions of SharePoint from wss to Office 365. I have good exposure in Customization and Migration using Nintex, Metalogix tools. Now exploring more in SharePoint 2016 🙂 Hope here I can contribute and share my knowledge to the fullest. As I believe “There is no wealth like knowledge and no poverty like ignorance”