We can debug a SharePoint add-in or provider hosted add-in in the different browser in visual studio 2015. Whenever you develop any solution and try to debug the solution, it will open in the default browser (mostly set IE). But you might need to debug in a different browser.
Recently we were developing a provider hosted add-in and we wanted to debug it into a different browser. By default, it was opening in Internet Explorer.
Debug SharePoint Add-in or Apps in a different browser
In a provider hosted add-in, there will be two projects one is your add-in project and another one is the Asp.Net project (maybe an asp.net MVC project or asp.net web form project depending on your selection while creating the provider hosted add-in).
Here select the add-project and go to properties (F4), you can see “Start Action” property. In this property, you can see the browser available. Select the browser and then when you click on F5 or Debug start button, it will take the selected browser. See fig below:
Read some SharePoint Add-in tutorials:
- Video Remove SharePoint Add-in from Site Contents Page SharePoint Online
- Create a Choice type Site Column in SharePoint Hosted Add-in using Visual Studio
- SharePoint online Remove app using PowerShell
- Error occurred in deployment step ‘Install SharePoint Add-in’: The remote server returned an error: (503) Server unavailable
- Error occurred in deployment step ‘Install SharePoint Add-in’: An instance of this App already exists at the specified location.
- Bind SharePoint Online Host Web List Data to Dropdownlist in SharePoint Hosted Add-in
- cannot find module ‘@microsoft/sp-build-web’ SharePoint Framework (spfx)
- Cannot import a spreadsheet into SharePoint. This feature requires a browser that supports ActiveX controls in SharePoint
- Could not load file or assembly ‘Microsoft.AI.Web’ or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
I hope this will be helpful to know how to debug SharePoint or provider-hosted add-in in a different browser.
Hello Everyone!! I am Bhawana a SharePoint MVP and having about 10+ years of SharePoint experience as well as in .Net technologies. I have worked in all the versions of SharePoint from wss to Office 365. I have good exposure in Customization and Migration using Nintex, Metalogix tools. Now exploring more in SharePoint 2016 🙂 Hope here I can contribute and share my knowledge to the fullest. As I believe “There is no wealth like knowledge and no poverty like ignorance”