Have you ever imagined editing or modifying images inside SharePoint? Have you got any requirement of editing images like resize, crop, frames or effects, etc.? Well, we used to depend on our Graphics designers for this kind of image editing capabilities. This is a product review for the SharePoint image editor.
As a Microsoft SharePoint MVP, I like to try out a few SharePoint products to see their capability and I recently came across SharePoint Image Editor. By using this Image Editor you are able to edit images from inside SharePoint. No additional software is required! By using SharePoint Image Editor, you can quickly customize, edit and save Images from within SharePoint.
SharePoint Image Editor allows you to edit images inside SharePoint without using any additional software, everything can be done within SharePoint.
- Easy to use and no additional software required for image editing.
- It has image editing capabilities available like layers, crop, resize, filters, frames, text, shapes and effects.
- It allows you to edit images from SharePoint document library or from the local drive.
- SharePoint Image Editor allows you to save images to your local drive in .jpg or .png format. At the same time, you can also save .editor project file for future editing inside SharePoint.
- Another awesome thing about SharePoint Image Editor is, it is responsive. So it will fit based on the devices you are using like desktop, laptop or tablet.
- Few other notable Image Editing features it provides are:
- Image Manipulation: Resize, crop, transform etc.
- Filters: Grayscale, blur, black & white, vintage etc.
- Frame: Add built-in responsive frames to images of any size.
- Crop: Crop images to one of the specified aspect ratios or select custom crop zone via the UI.
- Draw: Powerful free drawing tool supports both mouse and touch, has multiple brush types, colours and more.
- Text: Full support for adding text to images. Several hundred of google fonts can be used.
- Shapes: Add Shapes to Images.
- Stickers: Add Stickers to Images.
SharePoint Image Editor is based on Add-in or App model. Either you can get the .app file from the app store or from the company after purchase.
For SharePoint Online, you can install SharePoint Image Editor from the Office Store. Search for “SharePoint Image Editor”, you can download the licensed version or FREE version.
Choose One from above. If you want to try out the features, you can add Image Editor – Free.
For SharePoint 2013/2016, the company will provide the .app file after purchase the product.
The licensing is available in per user basis (available for SharePoint online form Office store) and also for a site collection, site, farm or tenant basic (available from the company itself).
- Single User: £5.99 per user
- Site: £999 per year (unlimited user)
- Site Collection: £1999 per year (unlimited user)
You can try the FREE version of SharePoint Image Editor. Once you the Image Editor App or add-in will be available in SharePoint site, can verify from the Site Contents page like below:
To use SharePoint image editor, open your SharePoint Online site, where it has been installed. And then from Site Contents page click on the Image Editor which will open the Image Editor App or the landing page.
Or you can also click on any Image from ECB menu, you can able to see and option as “Image Editor – Free” in the Advanced option. Once you click on that, it will open directly the image editor.
The first impression I got in the landing page is a very clean, clear and nice looking user interface.
Now I will show you, how easily you can use SharePoint image editor without any developer knowledge.
When you open the image editor, first things it will ask you to open an image, it provides 5 ways you can open:
- Open from SharePoint
- Open From Local
- Open Blank
- Open Editor File
- You can use an existing sample file from few samples that image editor provides.
If you have any images inside the document library, it will display images and you can choose from the SharePoint library. It can populate images from folders also.
Zoom in and Zoom Out
Very easily you can Zoom in and Zoom out an image, you do not feel you are doing this inside a SharePoint site. You can use the + or – button or you can also use mouse scroll.
Frame an Image
Just click on the FRAME button to add a very nice frame, image editor provides various lots of out of box frames.
You can see various stylish Frames are available in for the images like below:
You can see how the image appears after applying an inbuilt frame like below:
Add Text into Image very easily
Lots of time you may want to add a text or caption into the image. Very easily you can do this using image editor.
Not only just add text, but you can also choose the fonts from lots of font families, as well as you can choose color from a very beautiful color picker.
Click on TEXT icon like below:
Here I have added a different font and color and the images like below:
Click on the + Add Text icon to add a text into the image and here you can see I have add a text like “Let us rock the world !!!” which appears like below inside the image.
SharePoint Image Editor provides an option to transform, rotate the image. Click on Transform like below:
Check the image carefully, how the image is transformed from right to left by just a single click very easily. This is very cool and really awesome to have an edit feature like below:
Easily Resize Image
Very easily we can resize the image from the Resize button like below:
You can enter width, height, also you can maintain aspect ratio so that the image will not look blur. You can also use percentages to resize the image.
Filter image is another very beautiful feature, you can choose from lots of styles.
Once you click on FILTER icon, you can see various image styles like below:
Here I will apply Black & White and you can see how my image appears like below:
Similarly, If I will choose Vintage, you can see how the image looks now:
The tool has lots of other styles you can use like Crop, Draw, Shapes, Stickers, and Corners etc. Very easy to use simply on a button click.
Save Image after Editing
Once you edit the image you can be able to Save to SharePoint library, you can also download as a .png or .jpg file or you can save in Editor Project File. If you want to Save the project for future editing, then you can Save in Editor Project File.
You can see here I have saved to SharePoint document library with name as MyEdited Image and in .png format.
Pros and Cons of Image Editor
Overall this is a very useful and awesome tool, very easy to use and you can edit images very easily using image editor.
One thing missing is there is no ribbon button in the document library. Though the option is available in the Advanced option in ECB menu, one button also included in the ribbon would have been better.
I would highly recommend this tool to use in SharePoint. Lots of time you may be uploading your team pictures, celebration pictures etc. By using this tool, you will be able to edit your SharePoint images and make the images as required. Easily you can resize, crop, can adjust corner, add text etc.
You can do edit images absolutely with Zero developer or designer knowledge. No need to depend on additional software or wait for your Graphic designer to edit an image. Just use SharePoint Image Editor to edit and make an attractive image.
You may like following tutorials:
- Google G Suite to Office 365 migration tools rolled out by Microsoft
- Why Companies are Switching from Google Apps to Office 365
- Best Methods to Share all Google Docs with Another Account Step wise
- What is PowerApps
- SharePoint Migration Tool
- React vs Angular in Details
- SharePoint Online Development using Patterns and Practices (PnP)
- SharePoint Development Company India
- Altaro Office 365 Backup Review
I am Bijay from Odisha, India. Currently working in my own venture TSInfo Technologies in Bangalore, India. I am Microsoft Office Servers and Services (SharePoint) MVP (5 times). I works in SharePoint 2016/2013/2010, SharePoint Online Office 365 etc. Check out My MVP Profile.. I also run popular SharePoint web site EnjoySharePoint.com