This SharePoint 2013 designer workflow, we will discuss how to use Create List Item SharePoint designer workflow action with one example.
As the name suggests the Create List Item workflow action, will create an item in another list in SharePoint Online site or in the same SharePoint list where the workflow is attached.
If you are new to SharePoint workflows, then you can download and install SharePoint designer 2013 and you can create your first workflow using SharePoint designer 2013.
In this particular business scenario, I have a SharePoint task list and tasks has been assigned to various users. My requirement here is, when a task marks as completed, then the item should be moved to another SharePoint list.
Here we will use the Create list item workflow action which will create an item in another SharePoint Online list. And we will use Delete Item SharePoint designer 2013 workflow action to delete the current item after the item has been created.
SharePoint designer 2013 Workflow Example: Create List Item
Here initially we need to create two SharePoint task lists:
- AssignedTaskList -> Task will be assigned to various users.
- CompletedTasks -> Once the task is completed, the completed task will be moved this task list.
Now we can create the SharePoint workflow, Open Sharepoint Designer 2013. Click on workflow from the side navigation bar and then click on List Workflow from the ribbon to add the WorkFlow to Assignedtasklist list (Source list).
Provide Workflow Name and Description here we have given as “CreateCompletedtasklist” and choose platform as SharePoint 2013 Workflow, then click on “OK “to create the Workflow. Then the Workflow page comes up next.
NOTE: Choose Start option to “Start Workflow automatically when an item is changed“.
You can see a Workflow is created. Click on Action from the ribbon and then choose Log to History list, here pass a message so that you can know what happens when the workflow starts. Here the message is passed as “start to create a task list”.
After adding Log to History List, click on condition and choose “If any value equals value” click on the value and choose Data Source “Current Item” and Field from source as “Task Status” then set next value as equals to “Completed”.
Here we have to take this if condition, as after editing the item in the task as completed then only the Workflow will trigger and Workflow will complete.
From Action choose to Create List Item then you can find a “List” dropdown where choose destination list here it is “Completedtasks”.
Add the values which will be created and copied from the “Tasklist” here Task Name, Description and other components are taken to the destination list.
Click on Action and choose Delete Item. Delete Item will delete the completed item from the task list. It is recommended to take back up of the items, if you deleting any item using as SharePoint Designer 2013 it will be deleted permanently and you cannot retrieve it from the recycle bin. Click on this List and choose “Current Item” and then on “Ok”.
Go to Transition to stage and end the workflow by clicking on “End of Workflow”.
Now publish the workflow, Add an item to the task list.
Then edit the task and mark the status as Completed. You will see it will create an item in the destination list and delete the item from the source list.
You may like following SharePoint designer workflow tutorials:
- How to send an email using designer workflow in SharePoint Online or SharePoint 2013?
- SharePoint Online Video: Deploy SharePoint Designer Workflow into Production
- How to Trigger Sharepoint 2013 Designer workflow on a list item by calling REST API using jQuery?
- SharePoint Designer Workflow Declare item as a record
- SharePoint designer workflow examples: Steps to create a Leave Request SharePoint designer workflow in SharePoint Online
- Deploy SharePoint 2013 designer workflow into production in SharePoint online
- SharePoint 2013 Workflow Impersonation step missing in Designer
- Configure workflow manager SharePoint 2016 workflow in windows server 2012 r2
- Query List Nintex workflow action for Office 365 SharePoint Online
- You do not have permission to open this web site in SharePoint designer 2013
Here in this SharePoint 2013 designer workflow tutorial, have explained how to use Create List Item workflow action in SharePoint designer workflow.
I have also explained how to use Delete Item SharePoint designer 2013 workflow action.
I am Bijay from Odisha, India. Currently working in my own venture TSInfo Technologies in Bangalore, India. I am Microsoft Office Servers and Services (SharePoint) MVP (5 times). I works in SharePoint 2016/2013/2010, SharePoint Online Office 365 etc. Check out My MVP Profile.. I also run popular SharePoint web site EnjoySharePoint.com