In this SharePoint tutorial, we will discuss on SharePoint calendar. We will discuss below topics:
- What is the SharePoint calendar?
- How to create a SharePoint calendar in SharePoint 2013/2016 or SharePoint online by using the SharePoint calendar app?
- How we can add a person or group to the SharePoint calendar
- How we can add an event or an item to a SharePoint calendar
- How to work with the SharePoint calendar web part
- SharePoint calendar overlay
- SharePoint calendar color coding
- how to create a calendar view in the SharePoint calendar
SharePoint Online tutorial contents:
With Office 365 SharePoint Online calendar we can create events and reminders, we can create personal and team calendars as well.
As the name suggests personal calendars the calendar created will only be seen and accessible to you. With the team calendar, you can share event information and get notified about hat other team members are sharing.
Calendars can be used to show holidays, leaves, delivery dates and other information that is interesting for the whole group.
Group calendar is helpful when you schedule a team meeting because you can see the availability of team members and conference rooms. The calendar will be shared by all users who have access only.
We can create sharepoint calendar, which is a list app we can add using Add an app from the Gear icon or Gear Settings.
1. Click on Gear Settings and then on Add an app.
2. Find the app Calendar or Search from the search bar for Calendar list and click on the icon.
3. After clicking on Calendar icon a pop-up window comes in which basically ask to pick a name with a unique name. To create Group Calendar click on Advanced Option.
4. Pick a proper Name and Description. Click on yes to select Use this calendar as share members’ schedule? for group sharepoint calendar.
- You can use this sharepoint calendar to scheduled resources, such as conference rooms, as well as people, set Use this calendar for resource reservation to Yes. This enables you to create events in the calendar that include resources, such as conference rooms.
- If “Use this calendar for resource reservation” option is not available, the Group Work Lists feature needs to be enabled for the site from site settings > Manage site features.
- Resource reservation feature does not exist anymore in SharePoint 2013 and Office 365 SharePoint online.
5. A shared Calendar is created and the same sharepoint calendar can be shared with members and groups in a team or to a single person.
Microsoft Office 365 provides a fantastic collaboration option that enables you to see multiple calendars at the same time.
A group calendar is helpful when you schedule a team meeting because you can see the availability of team members and conference rooms. This feature helps for keeping your team organized.
- From the Calendar created click on Calendar tab in the ribbon. In the Scope group, click Day Group or Week Group. Click on People and then on Add Person or Group.
- It pops up a window pane to add resources and Resource Groups. You can enter Resource name from the Find box and then click on add to add the resource calendar and click on OK.
- You can see a group calendar is created with an added Resource.
The view created using the following procedure is temporary. Each time you refresh the browser, only the initial calendar will appear and display.
Now we can see how we can add event or item to sharepoint calendar in sharepoint 2013/2016 or sharepoint online.
- There are two ways to add an event to the calendar, either you can click on the particular cell from the calendar list like this or you can click on Events from the ribbon and click on New Events.
- An event adding page appears where you can add particulars as Title, Location, Start and End time, Category. You can also mark this event as All Day Event or Recurrence event.
- Clicking on Recurrence event you can mark and make this event repeating Daily, Monthly, Weekly or yearly with occurrence limit. Then click on Save to save the calendar.
- An event is saved and created on a particular date and time.
- After creating an event we can Edit Event and View Events. Click on the event created and then click on Events from the ribbon and then click on edit event or view event.
- Clicking on Edit Event takes you to the same page where you have created the item or event. Clicking on View Event you can view the event create with all details.
You can add the sharepoint calendar web part, to a sharepoint web part page in sharepoint online. Then click on Add a Web Part then select the calendar list which we have created in the above step and then click on Add.
Now we can see how to create a view for the sharepoint calendar. Open SharePoint calendar which we have created in the above step and From ribbon click on Calendar and then on List Settings in SharePoint Online.
Click on Create View from List Settings here you can also view different views created by default and other views.
Select Calendar View from View Type.
Give a name to the view you are creating and choose Audience, Time Interval, Calendar Columns, Default Scope, Filter and Mobile settings for this view.
You can choose Calendar Columns like below:
Now we will see how to work with sharepoint calendar overlay and color-coding in sharepoint 2013/2016 or sharepoint online. SharePoint calendar overlay is a feature by using which you can create a combined calendar view of multiple calendars in SharePoint.
Overlay Calendar is another feature from Microsoft Office 365 which enables you to see combined schedules. When you overlay a calendar to a SharePoint group calendar, you can see your own schedule and the group schedule at the same time. This can be helpful for choosing a time for a team event or planning a time to present training. You can overlay another SharePoint calendar as long as both SharePoint calendars are in the same site collection.
Following are steps to create Calendar Overlay:
- Click on Calendar from ribbon and there you can find Calendars Overlay and click on it.
- Click on New Calendar to create a view for SharePoint Calendar overlay. You can find Calendars which are already created as no views are created we don’t see any view and maximum 10 views can be created.
- Create a View with a Name and choose Type with description and choose Color for appropriate color. By this way, you can color code your events in this view.
- Click Find to automatically fill in web addresses and click Resolve. Check the list from the dropdown and check on Always Show to display.
- An Overlay SharePoint Calendar is created with a number of calendars and views.
You may like following SharePoint tutorials:
- Add Calendar List in the Modern SharePoint Online Site Pages
- SharePoint Unique Permissions to List & Document Library
- rms online is configured for this tenant but is turned off, please turn on in office 365 to enable
- SharePoint Site Collection or site tutorial
- SharePoint Online Group Calendar Web Part Tutorial
- Get Current Month Sales Report using Power BI Measure
- Get Next Month Sales Report in Power BI
This SharePoint calendar tutorial I have explained how to create SharePoint calendar using SharePoint calendar app. And then I showed how to create and use SharePoint calendar web part.
I also showed what is SharePoint calendar overlay and how to create a SharePoint calendar overlay. Then I showed how can we create a SharePoint calendar list view and SharePoint calendar permissions.
I am Bijay from Odisha, India. Currently working in my own venture TSInfo Technologies in Bangalore, India. I am Microsoft Office Servers and Services (SharePoint) MVP (5 times). I works in SharePoint 2016/2013/2010, SharePoint Online Office 365 etc. Check out My MVP Profile.. I also run popular SharePoint web site EnjoySharePoint.com