In this SharePoint 2016 tutorial, we will discuss how to open an HTML file in the browser in SharePoint 2016/2013.
Recently I have uploaded an HTML file into Site Assets library and when I click on the file, it was asking me to download the file instead of displaying it in the browser. My requirement is to open the HTML file in the browser, not to download the file.
By default in SharePoint 2016 restricted browser file handling, so we have to enable it.
Open HTML File in Browser in SharePoint 2016
We need to follow the below steps to resolve the issue.
Step-1: First open SharePoint 2016 Central Administration. Click on Manage web applications which is under Application management.
Step-2: Click on “Manage web application” under Web Application.
Step-3: From all SharePoint web application select the Web application in which you are facing the problem.
Step-4: Click on the web application tab which is on the ribbon. Then click on General settings.
Step-5: Scroll to Browser File Handling then change the Strict to Permissive. Click on OK. Now you can browse HTML files in SharePoint 2016.
You may like following SharePoint tutorials:
- This web site has been configured to disallow editing with SharePoint Designer 2013
- SharePoint Document Property Promotion and Demotion
- Create Subsite Programmatically using PnP in SharePoint Online
- Create and Use Content type hub in SharePoint Online/2013/2016/2019
- Anonymous Site in SharePoint 2013 or SharePoint 2016
- SharePoint 2013 Authentication
- Team site and publishing site in SharePoint 2016/2019
- How to create provider hosted app in SharePoint online
- How to create and remove indexed column using PowerShell in SharePoint Online/2013/2016 list or document library?
- Upload bulk documents to SharePoint 2016 document library using PowerShell
Once you save the settings, now you can open HTML files in the browser, it will not ask you to download the file.
Tags: sharepoint 2016 permissive file handling, sharepoint 2016 render html file, sharepoint 2016 open html file in browser, permissive browser file handling sharepoint 2016, permissive browser file handling sharepoint 2013, sharepoint download file instead of opening, sharepoint 2013 documents not opening in browser, browse file handling to permissive, display html page in sharepoint 2013, browser file handling sharepoint 2016, sharepoint 2016 html files, set browser file handling to permissive, sharepoint open file in browser, how to open html file in sharepoint, sharepoint download file instead of opening, sharepoint 2013 document download instead of open, sharepoint 2013 documents not opening in browser
Hello Everyone!! I am Bhawana a SharePoint MVP and having about 10+ years of SharePoint experience as well as in .Net technologies. I have worked in all the versions of SharePoint from wss to Office 365. I have good exposure in Customization and Migration using Nintex, Metalogix tools. Now exploring more in SharePoint 2016 🙂 Hope here I can contribute and share my knowledge to the fullest. As I believe “There is no wealth like knowledge and no poverty like ignorance”