Microsoft has released SharePoint 2016 on-premise version with lots of new features compared to the SharePoint 2013 on-premise version. This SharePoint 2016 tutorial explains about SharePoint 2016 new features for developers.
If you are want to know whether you should use SharePoint on-premise or SharePoint Online, then read an article on the Difference between SharePoint online and SharePoint on-premise.
Update: Now, Microsoft has already released the SharePoint server 2019 which is the latest version of SharePoint On-Premise.
SharePoint Online tutorial contents:
- SharePoint 2016 New Features for Developers
Below are a few new features of SharePoint 2016 for developers.
MinRole is a new feature in SharePoint Server 2016 that allows a SharePoint farm administrator to define each server’s role in a farm topology. It shows roles like Front-end, Application, Distributed Cache, Search, Custom, Single-Server Farm etc.
Document Deletion Compliance Features
The document deletion policy allows you to delete documents in users’ OneDrive for Business sites after specific periods of time.
New Document library accessibility feature
There are few enhancements in SharePoint 2016 document libraries like:
– Various keyboard shortcuts like:
Alt + N – New
Alt + E – Edit
Alt + U – Upload
Alt + M – Manage
Alt + S – Share
Alt + Y – Synchronization
– Announcements for upload progress while uploading documents to the SharePoint 2016 document library.
– Announcements for the file name and file types when browsing folder and file lists etc.
Durable links are helpful in retaining the links even if documents are renamed or moved in SharePoint.
Fast Site Collection Creation
This feature made the site collection creation process faster. It works at the same level as sql server which reduces the round trips required between the SharePoint and SQL servers.
Hybrid in SharePoint Server 2016 enables you to integrate your on-premises farm with Office 365 productivity experiences.
- Users can follow SharePoint Server and SharePoint Online sites, and see them consolidated in a single list.
- Users have a single profile in Office 365, where all of their profile information is stored.
You index all of your crawled content, including on-premises content, to your search index in Office 365. You can set up the crawler in SharePoint Server 2016 to crawl the same content sources and use the same search connectors in Office SharePoint Server 2007, SharePoint Server 2010, and SharePoint Server 2013.
Large File Support
SharePoint Server 2016 now supports uploading and downloading files larger than 2GB which can be configurable up to 10 GB.
stsadm.exe is finally deprecated in SharePoint 2016. So we have to use PowerShell instead of stsadm.exe.
Now new InfoPath Development
There will be no new InfoPath for SharePoint 2016, InfoPath 2013 is fully supported in SharePoint 2016.
No Tags and Notes
This feature is completely deprecated for SharePoint 2016. You will no longer be able to create new tags or notes or even access existing ones. But Microsoft provides PowerShell command to take backup of your tags and notes like below:
Export-SPTagsAndNotesData -Site <http://site.contoso.com> -FilePath <tagsandnotes.zip>
You may like following SharePoint 2016 tutorials:
- SharePoint 2016 PowerShell Script to list all Users in Site Collection
- Add, Update, Delete & Display List items in Gridview Programmatically in SharePoint 2016
- SharePoint 2016 Open HTML File in Browser Instead of Promoting to Download
- How to change Master Page in SharePoint 2016, SharePoint 2013 or SharePoint Online?
- Working with web part page and wiki page in SharePoint 2016
- Picture Library Slideshow Web Part in SharePoint 2016
- Alternate Access Mapping in SharePoint 2016
Here in this SharePoint 2016 tutorial, I explained a few new features of SharePoint 2016 for SharePoint developers.
I am Bijay from Odisha, India. Currently working in my own venture TSInfo Technologies in Bangalore, India. I am Microsoft Office Servers and Services (SharePoint) MVP (5 times). I works in SharePoint 2016/2013/2010, SharePoint Online Office 365 etc. Check out My MVP Profile.. I also run popular SharePoint web site EnjoySharePoint.com