This SharePoint tutorial, we will discuss sharepoint promoted links, and how to create promoted links in SharePoint 2013/2016 or SharePoint Online. Here we will display various useful options using promoted links in SharePoint Online or SharePoint 2013/2016/2019.
What are SharePoint promoted links
Promoted links are very useful in SharePoint. SharePoint Promoted Links list app displays a list of links in terms of Tiles view. Promoted links are nothing but the graphical representation, so it is more user-friendly.
The above is a promoted link and on click of that it is navigating to another URL.
Create SharePoint promoted links
Here, by using Promoted links, we wanted to show various options like Create new task, View All Task, Pending Tasks, Task in Progress, Completed Tasks, etc. So that the SharePoint home page looks a little attractive.
We have created a SharePoint task list as “Employee task” which has the following views:
- Task in progress
- Task completed
- All tasks
- Pending tasks
- Create task link
So by using SharePoint Promoted links, we are going to display the below options task in progress, task completed, create task, all task, pending tasks.
Our SharePoint task list looks like this.
Our view items look like below
First, go to SharePoint site then click on right side gear icon then click on Add an app (the highlighted one).
In the Site Contents page click on promoted links icon.
By clicking on “Promoted Links” we will get a new pop of window like below. Now for creating new Promoted Links we have to give a name then click on create.
In promoted link page we have added the new item.
By clicking on the new item we will get the page to fill in the details like:
- Title: This is the title that will appear on top of the icon. You can give a Title like “Create new task”.
- Background Image Location: This specifies the background image location. You can save the image inside any library like Site Assets and give the URL here. The ideal image size is 150 * 150 px.
- Description: This is the description that appears when the user hovers over the icon. You can give additional information like “Click to Create a New Task”.
- Links Location: This is a link location, one click of the Title, the user will be navigated to the URL.
- Launch Behavior: This option tells SharePoint how the URL will be opened. You can choose “In page navigation”.
- Order: This is a numeric field that decided the order of the Tiles. You can choose values starting from 1 for First Tile.
In the promoted links page we can see the created items.
By clicking on tiles we can see the pictorial representation of items like below.
Read some SharePoint tutorials:
- How to Create Custom Permission Level in SharePoint
- SharePoint list View Tutorial
- How to add Link to a Document Library in SharePoint Online
- Server side updates have been installed. Restart SharePoint designer to get the latest version updated
- Get Started with your Site Web Part SharePoint
- http error 400. the size of the request headers is too long. sharepoint online
- Delete site collection in SharePoint
- SharePoint Online left navigation and top Navigation branding using CSS
- How to add Promoted Links web part programmatically in SharePoint
- Create Promoted Links App in SharePoint 2013/2016 using PowerShell
- Site collection vs Site in SharePoint
- Create SharePoint Site Collection and Site using Nintex Workflow for Office 365
In this SharePoint tutorial, we will discuss sharepoint promoted links, how to create promoted links in SharePoint 2013/2016/2019 or SharePoint Online.
I am Bijay from Odisha, India. Currently working in my own venture TSInfo Technologies in Bangalore, India. I am Microsoft Office Servers and Services (SharePoint) MVP (5 times). I works in SharePoint 2016/2013/2010, SharePoint Online Office 365 etc. Check out My MVP Profile.. I also run popular SharePoint web site EnjoySharePoint.com