import excel spreadsheet into SharePoint list
Here I have an excel which has column has Name, EmailID, and Course. And also it has 2 records. The excel spreadsheet looks like below:
To work with import excel spreadsheet, use a 32-bit version of Internet Explorer 10 or 11. Else you will get an error like below: The list cannot be imported because a Microsoft SharePoint Foundation-compatible spreadsheet application is not installed or is not compatible with your browser
Open SharePoint 2016/2013 or SharePoint online site. Then from the Settings icon -> Add an app. And then select the “Import Spreadsheet” app. Then in the New app, give a name, description and choose the excel file which we have created earlier. The screen looks like below: Then click on import.
Then you can choose from Table Range, Range of Cells, or Named Range, choose Range of Cells, and then click Select Range manually. Then click on Import.
After that you can see the list will get created with the columns and data. The list looks like below:
The types of columns that are created for a list are based on the kinds of data that are in the columns of the spreadsheet.
If you got the error as: The specified file is not a valid spreadsheet or contains no data to import SharePoint 2016/2013 or SharePoint Online
You may like following SharePoint tutorials:
- Share a Site in SharePoint Online/2016/2013
- SharePoint 2016 Change Default Log File Location
- How to extract and make stp file in SharePoint Online?
- SharePoint 2013 new features for developers
- Delete User Custom Action using CSOM SharePoint Online
- How to hide approve reject workflow approval button from ribbon in SharePoint online using css?
- SharePoint cannot complete this action as the Secure Store Shared Service is not responding
- Microsoft SharePoint is not supported in 32-bit process
- An unknown error has occurred. The form template has been published to the server but it can only be opened in InfoPath filler
- Uncaught TypeError Cannot read property get_lookupValue of null SharePoint Online JSOM
- Linq to SharePoint 2013
- Documentum vs SharePoint
I hope this SharePoint tutorial, will help to import excel spreadsheet into SharePoint list.
Hello Everyone!! I am Bhawana a SharePoint MVP and having about 10+ years of SharePoint experience as well as in .Net technologies. I have worked in all the versions of SharePoint from wss to Office 365. I have good exposure in Customization and Migration using Nintex, Metalogix tools. Now exploring more in SharePoint 2016 🙂 Hope here I can contribute and share my knowledge to the fullest. As I believe “There is no wealth like knowledge and no poverty like ignorance”