As we all know Microsoft has already rolled out modern features in SharePoint online Office 365. Here we will discuss one very important impact of modern UI in InfoPath forms in SharePoint online Office 365.
If you are new to Office 365 SharePoint Online modern experience, then you can learn below SharePoint Online modern UI tutorials:
- How to move from classic to modern experience in SharePoint online list or document library?
- How to set modern homepage in classic SharePoint site in SharePoint Online Office 365?
- SharePoint Online Modern List: Explore 11 New Features
- Hero Web Part in SharePoint Online Modern Site
The modern experiences in SharePoint Online are:
- Modern team sites
- Modern list and library experiences
- Modern site pages
Here we will discuss what is the impact of modern UI inside SharePoint form library in SharePoint online.
SharePoint Form Library:
Microsoft designed SharePoint form library, especially to store Microsoft InfoPath form. InfoPath forms are nothing but XML files which usually opened in Microsoft InfoPath. We can also directly publish an InfoPath form to a form library in SharePoint online.
If you are new to InfoPath, then you can check an article on: SharePoint 2013 infopath tutorial
Impact on InfoPath forms inside SharePoint online form library
I have a form library, where I have published an InfoPath form. The modern UI is enabled in the form library. So the form looks like below. You can see how the forms are showing in .xml extension in the Name column.
Now when I click on the form, to open it which ideally should open in InfoPath in a browser, instead it opens the file as an XML file which looks like below:
Just to let you know that the above things happen when a modern experience is enabled in the library.
Now I have disabled the modern experience in the library and you can see the form library looks like below. And the forms look like InfoPath (.xsn) forms.
This time If I click on the form to Open it open in InfoPath in the browser itself.
So if you have any sites where InfoPath form is there and published to the form library. Plan things before enabling modern experience for the form library in SharePoint online.
Read some similar InfoPath tutorials:
- InfoPath alternatives for designing SharePoint Forms
- How to publish InfoPath forms as a content type in SharePoint 2013?
- Deploy Administration approved InfoPath forms in SharePoint 2013
- Make attachment field mandatory in InfoPath Designer 2013 in SharePoint Online list
- InfoPath 2013 show hide section using Rules in SharePoint online
I hope this will be helpful, in future articles, we will discuss more on modern experience in SharePoint online and its impact in SharePoint list and libraries in terms of customization.
I am Bijay from Odisha, India. Currently working in my own venture TSInfo Technologies in Bangalore, India. I am Microsoft Office Servers and Services (SharePoint) MVP (5 times). I works in SharePoint 2016/2013/2010, SharePoint Online Office 365 etc. Check out My MVP Profile.. I also run popular SharePoint web site EnjoySharePoint.com