Here we will discuss how we can enable documents to open in the browser instead of opening in the client application in SharePoint Online. It may be any kind of documents like word, excel, PowerPoint, notepad, HTML files or pdf, etc.
As an end-user or SharePoint Power user, you might not like to open the document in a client application, sometimes a client application might not be installed in the machine, in those cases opening the document in the browser will be helpful.
To enable this option in the SharePoint document library, follow the below steps:
Open the SharePoint Online document library and then go to document library settings. In the document library settings click on “Advanced settings” which is under “General Settings”.
Then in the Advanced Settings page, go to “Opening Documents in the Browser” section and choose either “Open in the browser” or “Use the server default (Open in the browser)” option.
Then the documents will open in the browser instead of the client application in SharePoint.
You may like following SharePoint document library tutorials:
- [Solved] Site assets library missing in SharePoint Online/2019/2016/2013
- Create Folder and Subfolder in SharePoint Document Library using PnP Core CSOM Library
- Microsoft Flow Example: Copy new files from your PC to SharePoint Online Document Library
- Create a Document Library with Columns programmatically in SharePoint 2016/2013 using Visual Studio 2017
- Add SharePoint 2016/2013 List/Library Columns to view programmatically using the server object model in Visual Studio 2017
- Upload file to SharePoint 2016 document library with metadata programmatically using file upload control (Visual Web Part + Server Object Model)
- How to add Link to a Document library in SharePoint Online/2013/2016
- Add multiple Office templates as a content type to a document library in SharePoint Online/2013/2016
- Rating and Generate File plan Report in SharePoint 2013/2016 Document Library
I hope this will be helpful to open SharePoint documents in the browser instead of asking to open in a client application.
Hello Everyone!! I am Bhawana a SharePoint MVP and having about 10+ years of SharePoint experience as well as in .Net technologies. I have worked in all the versions of SharePoint from wss to Office 365. I have good exposure in Customization and Migration using Nintex, Metalogix tools. Now exploring more in SharePoint 2016 🙂 Hope here I can contribute and share my knowledge to the fullest. As I believe “There is no wealth like knowledge and no poverty like ignorance”