This SharePoint 2013 tutorial, we will understand what is meaning by ghosting and unghosting in SharePoint. Ghosting and unghosting are applicable to all on-premise versions of SharePoint like SharePoint 2010/2013/2016. We will try to understand the difference between ghosting and unghosting in SharePoint.
Ghosting and unghosting concept come in files or pages in SharePoint.
SharePoint Online tutorial contents:
In one line, Ghosting in SharePoint means, the content is stored in the file system, not in the content database. The default files associated with any site definition are by default known as Ghosted pages like the default master pages.
If you modify those pages using SharePoint designer or using any tool, then those pages stores inside the content database and those pages become unghosted pages. Once it becomes unghosted the content will appear from the content database instead of the files system. It breaks all the references from the file system.
Ghosting pages are known as uncustomized pages, while unghosted pages are known as customized pages.
When you modify any ghosted page, it will show a message like Saving your changes will customize this page so that it is no longer based on the site definition. Do you want to continue? like below:
How to make unghosting page to ghosting page?
If you want to make the unghosted pages to a ghosted page then we can easily do by clicking on the “Reset to Site Definition” button which is available in the ribbon in SharePoint designer.
Or you can click on the “Reset to site definition” link which is available in the Site Settings page under Site Actions.
Read some SharePoint PowerShell tutorials:
- Enable or Disable List Throttling using PowerShell in SharePoint 2013
- Bulk SharePoint Online Site Collection Creation using PowerShell
- Delete Hidden Web Application in SharePoint 2013 using PowerShell
- Hide Document Library or Lists using PowerShell in SharePoint 2016 or SharePoint 2013
- SharePoint Online storage limits
- How to send email using PowerShell in Office 365
- Page viewer web part in SharePoint Online/2016/2013
- Rename/Hide SharePoint List Title Column
- Change look and feel of SharePoint site
- SharePoint Designer 2013 Workflow: Create List Item Action with Example
- Create a task scheduler in windows 10 for SharePoint
I hope this article will be helpful in understanding what is ghosting and unghosting in SharePoint 2013 and how we can make an unghosting page ghosting page.
I am Bijay from Odisha, India. Currently working in my own venture TSInfo Technologies in Bangalore, India. I am Microsoft Office Servers and Services (SharePoint) MVP (5 times). I works in SharePoint 2016/2013/2010, SharePoint Online Office 365 etc. Check out My MVP Profile.. I also run popular SharePoint web site EnjoySharePoint.com