In this SharePoint tutorial, we will discuss how to enable the rating settings in the SharePoint document library and the right way to using the rating settings in the SharePoint Online/2013/2016 list and document libraries.
Apart from that, I will show you generate file reports in the SharePoint document library and why we should use that in SharePoint 2016/2013 and when we created that what are the fields it may display in the generated report.
Here we will discuss two things:
- Rating Settings
- Generate File Plan Report
Rating Settings in SharePoint Online/2016/2013 document library
SharePoint allows us to give a rating or likes to documents or items in a SharePoint list or document library. For this, we have to first enable ratings for the document library in SharePoint 2016/2013.
Go to the SharePoint Online document library settings page.
Then under General Settings, click Rating settings like below:
Then in “Rating Settings” page, Allow items in this list to be rated, then click Yes.
- Which voting/rating experience would you like to enable for this list? do either of the following:
- Click Likes to let site visitors indicate that they like a document or other list item.
- SharePoint displays the total number of Likes next to the item and, on hover, displays who has liked the item.
- Click Star Ratings to let site visitors rate items with 1 to 5 stars,
- SharePoint automatically averages the star ratings of multiple visitor responses and displays the result next to the item.
- Click OK.
Now if you will open the list or document library, you can see SharePoint automatically adds, Number of Likes, Rating (0-5) and Like count column in the view.
This way you can use SharePoint Online or SharePoint 2016/2013 document library ratings or like feature.
Generate File Plan Report for a document library in SharePoint 2016/2013/Online
SharePoint 2016/2013 or SharePoint Online Files Plan report, gives you a report for the particular document library. It will provide lots of very useful information for that document library.
To generate a File Plan report, Go To Library Settings.
You will find a link as in the following “Generate file plan report” under Permissions and Management.
Once you click on the Link, it will ask you file location where you want to Save the file.
When you click on browse option you can get the Select List or Libraries file. There Click on where that file wants to save.
And then Click on ->OK.
After that this page will be directed to the excel file plan report page.so that you can able generate the file plan report.
The generated report will be divided into Summary, Retention Details and Folder Details.
Under Summary we will have details like:
- Report Generated
- Created By:
- Item Count:
- Require Content Approval:
- Draft Item Security:
- Source of retention schedules:
- Has Records:
- Has Items on Hold:
- Then we have the category Retention Details. This will store the details of the items in a library as retention details.
Then we have a category as Folder Details. It will store the folder details as in the folder name, path, number of items in that folder and the level of permissions it has.
Overall, it will generate one excel type document within that excel will you get three types of fields those are mainly targeting Summary, Retention files, and Folders. based on that we can get the file plan report.
Coming to the Summary file we can get document file plan report.in that folder determined that Site, Url, Description, Item hold, Item Records, Versioning, Item Count, Folder Count Etc.
In the Retention Folder will get any retention file to generate those available over there Folders which you can able to see that Number of items, Unique Permissions, Retention schedule Etc.
You may like following SharePoint document library tutorials:
- [Solved] Site assets library missing in SharePoint Online/2019/2016/2013
- Create Folder and Subfolder in SharePoint Document Library using PnP Core CSOM Library
- Microsoft Flow Example: Copy new files from your PC to SharePoint Online Document Library
- Create a Document Library with Columns programmatically in SharePoint 2016/2013 using Visual Studio 2017
- Add SharePoint 2016/2013 List/Library Columns to view programmatically using the server object model in Visual Studio 2017
- Upload file to SharePoint 2016 document library with metadata programmatically using file upload control (Visual Web Part + Server Object Model)
- How to add Link to a Document library in SharePoint Online/2013/2016
- Add multiple Office templates as a content type to a document library in SharePoint Online/2013/2016
- How to open documents in a browser in SharePoint online document library?
In this SharePoint document library tutorial, we discussed how to work with Ratings and Likes in SharePoint 2016 document library. Also, we saw how to generate file plan report in SharePoint 2016/2013 or SharePoint Online document library. What informations we can get from file plan report in SharePoint document library?
I am Bijay a Microsoft MVP (8 times – My MVP Profile) in SharePoint and have more than 15 years of expertise in SharePoint Online Office 365, SharePoint subscription edition, and SharePoint 2019/2016/2013. Currently working in my own venture TSInfo Technologies a SharePoint development, consulting, and training company. I also run the popular SharePoint website EnjoySharePoint.com