This SharePoint Online tutorial explains, Document Co-Authoring in SharePoint Online/2016. We will see what is document co-authoring in SharePoint? How we can use co-authoring functionality in a word, excel, PowerPoint etc documents.
SharePoint Online tutorial contents:
Document Co-Authoring is the good feature of SharePoint, which allows multiple people to work on a word document, Excel document, powerpoint document or OneNote document at the same time.
Note: In SharePoint online or Office 365 the Co-Authoring is always enabled by default no need to enable manually.
Suppose two people are editing the same document at a time, then one user can able to know other one’s presence.
Open the Document Library click on New. Here we can able to see
- Word document
- Excel workbook
- PowerPoint presentation
- OneNote notebook
Select the Word document.
I have written one document and click on “FILE”.
In File option, we can able to see the Share option. Click on Share. Two option is there
- Share with People
Share with People option we can able to Share our document with multiple users. I want to share the document so click on “Share with People”.
If we choose the second option then directly attach the document to Blog or Website.
We will get Send Link page where we can add the username whom we want to send the document. We can send the message to the user. Click on Send.
Below the page, we can able to see Copy Link when we click on copy the link our link is copied.
When we logged in with “Preeti” then we can able to see the link when we click on the link we can directly open the word document.
When we logged in with my user we can able to see another user who is editing the document.
When we logged in with Preeti we can able to see my user name.
In SharePoint in word online we can able to see the presence of the user.
When we choose the Excel Workbook in SharePoint we can able to see an Excel page. I have added data into the Excel. To Share the Excel Click on Share. We can able to see Send Link page where we can add username and click on Send.
When we open the Excel book with send user we can able to see in the top of the page that “Padmini Kumari” is also editing.
Like the word and Excel, we can Share PowerPoint presentation document and OneNote notebook.
Note: Some Point we have to remember
- If two people modify at a time in different line then both can able to see the changes.
- When the two people modify in the same line then the last modified data is showing.
In SharePoint 2013/2016, Co-Authoring is not enabled by default we have to enable manually.
For enabling Co-Authoring, follow the below things.
Open the SharePoint document library Settings. Click on “Versioning Settings” from “General Settings”.
Select “Create major versions” from “Document Version History”.
Check the Keep the following number of major versions to limit the total version to retain. Click on OK.
When we checked out the document then the document is unavailable for co-authoring. So we need to make sure Require Check Out option is disabled.
In the Version settings page below the Draft Item Security, we can able to see Require Check Out option. Choose “No” there like below:
For storing a Document in Co-authoring some location are required.
- SharePoint Online
- SharePoint Server
- One Drive for Business
- One Drive Consumer
You may like following SharePoint document library tutorials:
- Create a Document Library with Columns programmatically in SharePoint 2016/2013 using Visual Studio 2017
- PowerApps upload file to SharePoint Online document library using Microsoft Flow
- Upload file to SharePoint 2016 document library with metadata programmatically using file upload control (Visual Web Part + Server Object Model)
- Add multiple Office templates as a content type to a document library in SharePoint Online/2013/2016
- How to add Link to a Document library in SharePoint Online/2013/2016
- Rating and Generate File plan Report in SharePoint 2013/2016 Document Library
- SharePoint Unique Permissions to List & Document Library in SharePoint Online Step by Step Tutorial
- Sync SharePoint Online Document Library with OneDrive and Work with Files Offline
- How to directly save Excel File into SharePoint Online Document Library
- Hide Document Library or Lists using PowerShell in SharePoint 2016/2013
This SharePoint Online tutorial, we discussed document co-authoring in SharePoint Online or SharePoint 2013/2016. We saw how to use document co-authoring in SharePoint Online word, excel documents etc.
Also, we saw how can we enable document co-authoring in SharePoint 2016/2013.
Hello Everyone!! I am Bhawana a SharePoint MVP and having about 10+ years of SharePoint experience as well as in .Net technologies. I have worked in all the versions of SharePoint from wss to Office 365. I have good exposure in Customization and Migration using Nintex, Metalogix tools. Now exploring more in SharePoint 2016 🙂 Hope here I can contribute and share my knowledge to the fullest. As I believe “There is no wealth like knowledge and no poverty like ignorance”