This SharePoint tutorial we will discuss how to create term group, how to create a term set and how to create a term in term store in SharePoint Online/2013/2016. We will see how to create a label inside a term in term store in SharePoint Online/2013/2016.
If you are new to term store management in SharePoint Online, then read Term Store Management in SharePoint Online Office 365 (Step by Step Tutorial).
Create term group in SharePoint Online/2013/2016
We can create a term store group in the SharePoint Online site collection level and SharePoint admin center level. For site collection level go to site settings -> Site Administration and select on “Term store management”.
Here I am discussing how to create the term store group at the tenant level.
Open the SharePoint admin center, Click on “term store” from the left side panel. Select the “Taxonomy” and right click on it from the “TAXONOMY TERM STORE” panel, we will get “New Group”. Click on “New Group” like below:
Give a name for the term group and press enter.
Now go to the “General”, properties panel this contains below field
- GroupName: Whatever we give the group name it will visible in the “GroupName” field.
- Description: Give the description for the term store group here.
- GroupManagers: Enter the name in the group manager box whom we want as a manager for the group. We can browse the name also. When we want to add multiple names then we can use a semicolon for separation. The group manager people have contributor permission. The group manager can add the user to the contributors’ role.
- Contributors: Enter the name or browse the name in the contributor box. Here also multiple users will be separated by a semicolon. The user whose name we will add in the contributor box, they have full permission to edit terms and term within this group.
Create term set in term store in SharePoint Online/2013/2016
Now, we will see, how to create a new term set inside a term store group in term store in SharePoint. Previously we saw how to create a term store group and created a group named “Electronics”.
To create a term set under the “Electronics” group just right click on the group name. One option bar will come. Select “New Term Set”.
Give the proper new term set name and press enter.
After the term set successfully created select the term set and in the right side we can see “GENERAL”, “INTENDED USE”, “CUSTOM SORT”, “CUSTOM PROPERTIES”. Select the “General” tab.
The General tab contains below fields
- “Term Set Name”: What ever we were give the term set name while creating will be populated in this field. Here we can modify and change the term set name.
- “Description”:This field is for term set description. We can write about the term set in this field.
- “Owner”: Some time we want other to be owner of the term set. So, in this case, we can directly add the name, we can add a group also in the owner box. But make sure that the owner name should be single. More than one name for the term set owner we can not give.
- “Contacts”: We can give the email id of user. So that they can give the feedback for term set.
- “Stakeholders”: When we add the “Stack holder” name then if any major changed done with the term set then the user will get a notification.
- “Submission Policy”: By default, the “Submission Policy” is in the closed state. When it is closed then only the metadata manager can add the terms to the term set. But when it is in open state then the user can add the terms for tagging application.
- “Available for Tagging”: By default, the “Available for Tagging” is enabled. When we select the “Available for Tagging” checkbox then the term set should be available for the end user and content editor of sites. When we disable the “Available for Tagging” then the term set will not be visible to the users.
- Use this term set for Site Navigation: It is always disabled. When we enable the option then the term set is used for managed navigation.
- Use this Term set for faceted navigation: When we enable the “Use this term set navigation” option then, the users will configure contextual refiner. It is always disabled.
In the “CUSTOM SORT” tab we will get
- “Custom Sort Order”: This option is for sorting the term which is inside the “Term set”.This option contains two radio button
- “Use default sort order according to current language”: When we select this radio button then the term inside the term set will be sorted according to alphabetical order.
- “Use Custom short order”: Based on our wish we can short the terms in the term set.
When we want to store some additional information about the term set we can add here. Click on Save.
Create term in term store in SharePoint Online/2013/2016
Now, we will see how to create term under term set in SharePoint Online/2013/2016. Go to the particular term set and right click on it to add a new term. Click on “Create Term”.
Give the term name. Open the General tab. in the top side corner we will see the term name.
“DefaultLabel”: We can add a multiple labels in the term. The created term always in “Default label”.
“Other labels”: In this field is for adding the label. We can add more than one label in the term. Click on Save.
The group, term set, and term are arranged in a tree structure. We can create a term under another term in SharePoint.
Similarly, in the below screenshot I have created multiple term set and term. I have created multiple terms under the term.
You may like following SharePoint Online tutorials:
- Term update failed because of save conflict SharePoint Online
- Google G Suite to Office 365 migration tools rolled out by Microsoft
- SharePoint Online Development using Patterns and Practices (PnP)
- Content query web part SharePoint Online or SharePoint 2013/2016
- Microsoft Flow Example: Copy new files from your PC to SharePoint Online Document Library
- The managed metadata service or connection is currently not available SharePoint online
- SharePoint 2016 usage analytics
- Failed to read from or write to database error while adding new terms in Term Store Management in SharePoint 2013 or SharePoint 2016
- Retrieve term store data including Labels in SharePoint Online
- Different Types of Navigation in SharePoint 2013/2016/Online
In this blog, we were discussed how to create term store group, term set and term in the tenant level in SharePoint Online Office 365.
Hello Everyone!! I am Bhawana a SharePoint MVP and having about 10+ years of SharePoint experience as well as in .Net technologies. I have worked in all the versions of SharePoint from wss to Office 365. I have good exposure in Customization and Migration using Nintex, Metalogix tools. Now exploring more in SharePoint 2016 🙂 Hope here I can contribute and share my knowledge to the fullest. As I believe “There is no wealth like knowledge and no poverty like ignorance”