In this SharePoint tutorial, we will discuss how to create a custom theme in SharePoint 2016/2013/Online. The same process can be followed in SharePoint 2013 and SharePoint online.
Here we will see how to customize the SharePoint theme and how to deploy theme in SharePoint online.
We can customize the SharePoint theme by using the following components
- Color Palette
- Font scheme
- Background Image
The below steps can be followed to deploy the customized theme in SharePoint Office 365.
Go to “Site settings“. Select “Themes” from the “Web Designer Galleries“.
Open the 15 folders from the “Theme Gallery”.
The Theme Galleries contains some of the “fontscheme” and “Palette” by default. The Palette is nothing but the color combination user in the SharePoint site to customize the SharePoint theme.
Like that the “fontscheme” are the fonts we can use in the site which is stored in Theme Gallery 15 folder by default. We can use the by default Theme and “fontscheme” to customize SharePoint theme.
We can customize the SharePoint theme by using two more methods.
Method-1: Customize the color palette from download the palette
We can download the “color palette” and open in any editor. Here I have downloaded the theme and opened in notepad. I have changed the SubTitle color value to “ff0000”.
After changing the subtitle color value Save the file and rename it. I have renamed to “DemoColorPalette.spcolor”.Upload the renamed file in the “Theme Gallery”.
Method-2: Use Color “Palette Tool” which is provided by Microsoft
We can use Color “Palette Tool” which is provided by Microsoft. We can download and install SharePoint Color Palette Tool. After we Save automatically it will be a Color Palette file. Then same process upload to Theme Galleries.
If you are using method 1 then from the Custom look the process will be same.
Here I have used method 2. I have used the color Palette Tool here. I have installed the tool in my system. The tool looks like below screenshot. I have changed the Layout to Oslo and saved to our local system and upload in the “Theme Gallery”.
In the SharePoint theme Gallery, I have uploaded the file from the local system. Here “NewDemoColorPallette” is my file name which I have uploaded in the “Theme Gallery”.
Open the SharePoint ComposedLooks:
Now I have to open the “Composed Looks” which is present under “WebDesignerGalleries”.In the Composed Looks we can able to see below fields.
- Title: Here Enter the title for the custom theme
- Name: Enter The Name for the custom theme this will appear in the design Galleries of SharePoint page.
- MasterPageURL: Give the master page URL in this field. Below the Master page URL, we can able to see the description of the master page URL. I have given the same URL in the master page description. The description field is optional.
- ThemeURL: In the Theme URL enter the address of “color palette” which I have saved in the “Theme Gallery”.
- ImageURL: Enter the background Image URL here.
- FontSchemeURL: font scheme is available in the ThemeGallery by default we can give the FontSchemeUrl directly from the Theme Galleries. But it is optional. Here let the filed as blank.
- DisplayOrder: In the Display order text box enter the number based on the number your designed custom theme will appear in the Design Gallery.
After fill up all the field, click on Save.
After Save the Custom theme it is directly available in UI. Open the change the Look from the gear icon. We can able to see the designed custom theme directly available. The highlighted one is I have Created.
You may like following SharePoint customization tutorials:
- SharePoint Carousel Example
- Save list as template missing in SharePoint Online modern team site
- How to uncheck add as a new version to existing files in SharePoint Online
- Enable or Disable Notebook Link in SharePoint Online classic and modern sites
- Cascading dropdown in SharePoint 2013/2016/Online using jQuery
- SharePoint Online Gantt Chart View for Task List
- Picture Library Slideshow Web Part in SharePoint Online
- SharePoint Left Navigation or Quick Launch Navigation Menu Customization in SharePoint Online/2016/2013
In this SharePoint article, we were discussed how to create a custom SharePoint theme. We also discussed how to deploy the custom theme to SharePoint design gallery.
Hello Everyone!! I am Bhawana a SharePoint MVP and having about 10+ years of SharePoint experience as well as in .Net technologies. I have worked in all the versions of SharePoint from wss to Office 365. I have good exposure in Customization and Migration using Nintex, Metalogix tools. Now exploring more in SharePoint 2016 🙂 Hope here I can contribute and share my knowledge to the fullest. As I believe “There is no wealth like knowledge and no poverty like ignorance”