This SharePoint 2013 tutorial, we will discuss how to configure user profile service application in SharePoint 2013/2010 (step by step tutorial with screenshots). This articles applied for SharePoint 2010, 2013 and 2016.
Before starting configuring this user profile service application in SharePoint 2013/2016, below steps need to perform as prerequisites
- Do IIS reset on the server before starting our activity.
- Start User profile service and User Profile Sync service.
- To start with User profile sync service, go to CA page select System setting and click on Services on the server. Here start User profile service then start User Profile Sync service, starting sync service will ask us for username and password, enter username and password and click on ok.
- Once you clicked start on this job, go back to services.MSC and check forefront identity both of service will start automatically which will be disabled by default. This process is going to take some minutes maybe 10 minutes and more also so be patience.
- Go to CA page, select Service Application option from Application Management
- Select new created UPA service to configure the same.
Here select Configure synchronization connections under Synchronization.
- Once selected the above option, it will navigate us to new connection page, Click on Create a new connection and update below information.
- Connection Type Name: Name you would like to assign
- Type: Under type drop down we have a number of connection where we need to select the Active directory
- Connection Settings: Forest name, farm forest name which we can get from AD team, leave blank and select auto-discover the domain controller.
- Authentication: by default, Windows authentication will be selected, enter username and password.
- Port: default it will set if you want to use SSL you can check the below option.
- Container: Automatic will come appears once we are clicking on populate containers.
- As above image enter all the details and click in populate containers, which will bring down your AD name, select the same and click on ok.
It will take back to Connection page, go back to the UPA service application page and configure Synchronization timer job. Once clicked on the same will navigate this page to edit timer job page where we can select recurring schedule job and click on ok. See below screenshot.
As we have with the configuration so we can proceed with starting Profile synchronization, Click on that option from synchronization.
As it’s for the first time we need to start full sync, select full sync and click on ok.
- Go back to UPA service page, we can see monitor the same. We can monitor the same from FIM service which will be available under SharePoint installed path.
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office Servers\14.0\Synchronization Service\UIShell
- Open miisclient.exe can monitor the sync status from here as well.
Note: If use profile service synchronization service is not started, it will throw an error on the opening of this application
You may like following SharePoint tutorials:
- The managed metadata service or connection is currently not available SharePoint online
- How to change Site Collection Administrator in SharePoint Online or SharePoint 2019/2016/2013
- Delete site collection in SharePoint Online Office 365 and SharePoint 2013/2016/2019
- Install and Configure SQL Server Reporting Services Service Application in SharePoint 2010
- Check out SharePoint 2013, 2016, 2010 and Moss 2007 End of Support Roadmap, Plan to Migrate to SharePoint Online or SharePoint 2019
- User profile synchronization service stuck on starting SharePoint 2013
- This user profile application connection is currently not available SharePoint 2013
Hope you learn how to configure user profile service application in SharePoint 2013 or SharePoint 2016.
I am Bijay from Odisha, India. Currently working in my own venture TSInfo Technologies in Bangalore, India. I am Microsoft Office Servers and Services (SharePoint) MVP (5 times). I works in SharePoint 2016/2013/2010, SharePoint Online Office 365 etc. Check out My MVP Profile.. I also run popular SharePoint web site EnjoySharePoint.com