Have you ever come across a situation where you want to change a SharePoint Online site URL?
Subscribe to EnjoySharePoint YouTube channel for more SharePoint tutorial videos.
You have created a SharePoint Online team site and communication site and customize according to your business requirement, but later you realize you have created a site where the URL you have given as Test.
Now, you want to use this site as your live site, but you want to change the SharePoint site URL from Test to something else.
This SharePoint tutorial, we will discuss how to change SharePoint Online site URL from https://<spskytraining>.sharepoint.com/sites/TSInfo to https://<spskytraining>.sharepoint.com/sites/TSInfoTechnologies
Also, we will see how to change SharePoint Online Sub Site URL?
SharePoint Online tutorial contents:
Below are the types of SharePoint Online sites, we can change the URL:
- SharePoint Online modern team sites (Office 365 group connected)
- SharePoint Online modern team sites (Office 365 group not connected)
- Communication sites
- Classic team sites
Note: We can only change the site URL or address, we can not change the domain name.
Now, we will see how to change SharePoint Online site URL.
Login to SharePoint Online admin center and go to active sites which is under Sites tab. Then select the particular site which URL you want to change like below:
Then in the Site details dialog, from General tab, click on URL and then click on the Edit link like below:
Then in the next screen you can provide the updated SharePoint site URL like below:
Then click on the Save button, to change the SharePoint site URL.
Then it will show a confirmation message like below:
Once you click on Yes, it will ask you, if you want to change the site name, then it will take sometime and update the changes.
Note: It will take up to 10 minutes for the changes to reflect. And you can change the site url or address of up to 100 sites at a time.
You can see the progress like below:
This is how we can change the SharePoint site URL.
Once you change the site address, SharePoint automatically create a redirect to the previous URL. Means when an user put the old URL in the browser, they will be automatically redirected to the new SharePoint site URL or address.
Now, we will see how we to change SharePoint site address or URL using PowerShell.
First of all download and install the latest version of SharePoint Online management shell.
Once you install successfully, run the below command in the SharePoint Online management shell.
Start-SPOSiteRename: We can use Start-SPOSiteRename cmdlets to rename the SharePoint site URL, title or both.
Connect-SPOService -Url https://spskytraining-admin.sharepoint.com Start-SPOSiteRename -Identity https://spskytraining.sharepoint.com/sites/TSInfoClassic -NewSiteUrl https://spskytraining.sharepoint.com/sites/TSInfoClassicRenamed
Once you run the command it will take sometime for the changes to reflect and you might see the status not started like below:
But do not worry, in the background the command already started and you can see the result in sometime.
Similarly, if you want to check if a site is eligible to change URL or not, you can run the following command.
Start-SPOSiteRename -Identity https://spskytraining.sharepoint.com/sites/TSInfoTechnologies/ -NewSiteUrl https://spskytraining.sharepoint.com/sites/TSInfoTechnologiesRenamed/ -ValidationOnly
- We can’t change the address of SharePoint hub sites, sites that are locked or on hold, or of sites that have BCS connections.
- Permissions will not change, who have permission to the old SharePoint site, they can access the new SharePoint site after address change.
- If you have shared the SharePoint site, then the sharing link will automatically redirect to the new SharePoint URL.
- OneDrive sync app will also automatically sync to the new SharePoint site URL after the site address changed.
- All the files will be lost from the recycle bin once the site address got changed.
- For Office 365 group connected sites, after the site address is changed, users won’t be able to view the team’s files within the Teams app, but they can access them from Microsoft Teams by selecting Open in SharePoint.
- If you are using the newer version of mobile app (android and iOS), then the SharePoint mobile apps will detect the site’s new URL.
- If you have used SharePoint apps, then you need to republish the apps after you change the SharePoint site address.
- All Microsoft Flows or Power Automate needs to be recreated after the SharePoint site address change.
- If you are using PowerApps, then you need to delete the existing data sources and and add to the new data connections. Most of the things will work as expected.
- If the SharePoint site is associated with a hub site, then it needs to be reassociated after the site address is changed.
- You need to publish the InfoPath forms with the new site URL, becuase the InfoPath forms with old URLs will not work.
- SharePoint workflow 2013 will need to be re-published after the site address is changed.
- Any SharePoint site customizations and embedded code which refers to the old URL, need to change to the new SharePoint site URL after the SharePoint site address change.
We can also easily change the SharePoint Online subsite URL.
Here I have a SharePoint sub site under a particular site collection. The URL looks like below:
We can easily change the Subsite1 to a different URL.
Go to the Site Settings page of the SharePoint site.
If it is a modern SharePoint site then click on Gear icon, then Site information then view all site settings like below:
Then click on Title, description and logo link like below:
There you can change the URL in the web site address like below:
Then the URL will get changed.
This SharePoint tutorial, we learned:
- How to change the sharepoint online site URL from the SharePoint Online admin center
- How to change sharepoint online site URL using PowerShell
- What will happen to the Old SharePoint site URL and how it will redirect to the new SharePoint site URL?
- How it will affect the SharePoint site after the URL change?
- How to change SharePoint Online Sub Site URL?
I am Bijay from Odisha, India. Currently working in my own venture TSInfo Technologies in Bangalore, India. I am Microsoft Office Servers and Services (SharePoint) MVP (5 times). I works in SharePoint 2016/2013/2010, SharePoint Online Office 365 etc. Check out My MVP Profile.. I also run popular SharePoint web site EnjoySharePoint.com