This SharePoint Online customization tutorial explains how to change list column order in SharePoint Online/2013/2016 list or document library. We can change the columns order in SharePoint list new form or edit form etc.
Here I have a SharePoint Online custom list that has columns like Title, UserName, Gender, Country, and Address. When we will go for adding new items to the SharePoint List we can able to see the List form look like below.
Here by default, it displays the Title columns at the beginning, but I want the UserName field to appear at the beginning. So I will show here how to change the list column order in the new form or in edit form in SharePoint list.
Follow below steps to change column order in SharePoint list.
Open SharePoint Online/2013/2016 list and then go to the “List Settings” page of the particular list whose list form we want to customize. Scroll down the page we can able to see “Column ordering” in the List settings Page like below:
Click on Column Ordering. In the Change Column Ordering Page, Change the number of “Position from Top“. Here I have changed the Title column order from 1 to 5. Click on OK.
When we changed the List column order it will not display in the SharePoint list, when we will go for “add new item” to the list the order column is reflected in the List new form in SharePoint.
Here I have changed the Title column order to 5 and UserName as 1, so when we will go for Add new item we can able to see the Title field at the Last and UserName at the beginning.
You may like following SharePoint customization tutorials:
- SharePoint Left Navigation or Quick Launch Navigation Menu Customization in SharePoint Online/2016/2013
- How to Customize Office 365 login page SharePoint Online
- SharePoint Online Gantt Chart View for Task List
- Document Approval Workflow in Nintex Workflow for Office 365 SharePoint Online
- Working with Survey List in SharePoint 2016/2013 or SharePoint Online
- Make Title field read-only in SharePoint list edit form using JSLink
- Hide SharePoint Site Title using jQuery
- Remove hyperlink from title column in SharePoint 2010 list view
- Steps to freeze header row for title in SharePoint 2013 List view or document Library on scrolling using jQuery
- SharePoint 2013 Increase List Title column width using jQuery
- Rename SharePoint 2013 list column title in list view using jQuery
- How to hide or rename title column from SharePoint list or library
- the list is too large to save as a template the size of a template cannot exceed 52428800 bytes
In the SharePoint article, we were discussed how to change the column order of the SharePoint list form. I have shown how easily you can change column order in the new form and edit form in the SharePoint Online list.
Hello Everyone!! I am Bhawana a SharePoint MVP and having about 10+ years of SharePoint experience as well as in .Net technologies. I have worked in all the versions of SharePoint from wss to Office 365. I have good exposure in Customization and Migration using Nintex, Metalogix tools. Now exploring more in SharePoint 2016 🙂 Hope here I can contribute and share my knowledge to the fullest. As I believe “There is no wealth like knowledge and no poverty like ignorance”