Recently I was getting the below error while publishing an InfoPath form in SharePoint 2013, the error coming was: An unknown error has occurred. The form template has been published to the server but it can only be opened in InfoPath Filler. The InfoPath form I was using inside a workflow in SharePoint 2013. But I was not able to publish.
The form template has been published to the server but it can only be opened in InfoPath filler
After searching for a solution, I got to know that we need “Desktop Experience” feature.
Open Server Manager in the server. Click on “Add Roles And Features” -> Then click on Next till you reach Features section. Here expand “User Interfaces and Infrastructure” and check the checkbox like below. Then follow the next steps and install it. If required restart once.
After this the InfoPath error “An unknown error has occurred. The form template has been published to the server but it can only be opened in InfoPath filler” will not come.
You may like following InfoPath tutorials:
- InfoPath cannot save the following form access denied SharePoint Online
- Publish InfoPath form to SharePoint 2013 form library or List
- Microsoft InfoPath Views Tutorial
- Unable to connect SharePoint site. The Operation could not be completed error in InfoPath 2013
- A SharePoint list that contains data required for this form to function correctly cannot be found InfoPath SharePoint online error
- Make attachment field mandatory in InfoPath Designer 2013 in SharePoint Online list
- SharePoint online InfoPath error The form cannot be submitted to the specified SharePoint document library
- InfoPath failed to publish because the default content type in the document library is not based on the Form content type SharePoint Online InfoPath Error
- This feature requires SharePoint 2010 or greater with InfoPath Forms Services enabled
- The URL template.xsn is an unsupported relative URL error in SharePoint online modern form library
- You do not have permissions to access a SharePoint list that contains data required for this form to function correctly
I hope this SharePoint tutorial explains how to fix error, An unknown error has occurred. The form template has been published to the server but it can only be opened in InfoPath filler.
I am Bijay from Odisha, India. Currently working in my own venture TSInfo Technologies in Bangalore, India. I am Microsoft Office Servers and Services (SharePoint) MVP (5 times). I works in SharePoint 2016/2013/2010, SharePoint Online Office 365 etc. Check out My MVP Profile.. I also run popular SharePoint web site EnjoySharePoint.com