This Office 365 tutorial, we will discuss how to add a new user to Office 365 and also, we will see how to assign a license to a user in Office 365.
We will also discuss here, how to reset the password of a single user or bulk users in Office 365.
In my previous post, I explained how to sign up for an Office 365 E5 trial, so now let us see how we can create a new user in Office 365 and assign a license. Then the users can be able to access Office 365 based on the role.
- Create Bulk Users in Office 365 (from CSV File)
- What is Shared mailbox in Office 365?
- How to Customize Office 365 login page SharePoint Online
- How to Change Office 365 Theme
- How to set up self-service password reset in Office 365
- How to Set Office 365 Password Policy
Add a new user and assign a license in Office 365
You can follow the below steps to add a new user in Office 365 and assign a license in Office 365.
First, login to Microsoft 365 Admin Center (https://admin.microsoft.com/) with your Office 365 credentials.
Note: Here, I am using new SharePoint Online admin center.
Then click on Users -> Active users which will open the active user’s page. Here, click on Add a user like below:
Then it will open the Add user page, where you can enter user details like:
- First name: First name of the user
- Last name: Last name of the user
- Display name: The display name of the user, by default it will display both first name and last name as the display name
- Username: This will be the user name of the newly created user. If the given user name is not available, it will ask you to enter a different user name.
Then either you can create the password for the user or you can select to auto generate the password for the user.
Also, you can select the Require this user to change their password when they first sign in checkbox, so that when the user first time tries to login it will ask to change their password.
Similarly, you can select the Send password in email upon completion option. This will show a textbox where you can enter the email ids to which you want to send the email. By default, it will populate the logged-in user name.
The screen looks like below:
Then in the Assign product licenses section, it will ask you to select the location and Assign user a product license, where you can select the license check box to assign a license to the user.
In this Office 365 E5 plan, I can create up to 25 users, so it displays me the license like below:
Also in the Apps section, you can check the checkboxes which apps you want the user to access.
In the next section, it will display what Role (Admin center access) you want to give to the Office 365 user.
There are various Admin center access are available, you can select the options in case you want to give admin center access to the user like below:
In the above page, you can also provide profile information like Job profile, department, Office, Office phone, Mobile Phone etc.
Finally, it will display you the details about the user. If you want to modify, you can click on the Edit link to modify, else click on Finish adding.
Now, it will add the user and show a successful message like below:
Now, the user can be able to login to the Office 365 portal. The user will be available now in the Active users list like below:
This is how we can create a user in Office 365 and assign a license to the Office 365 user.
How to reset the password of an Office 365 user
We can easily reset the password of an user in Office 365 from the Microsoft 365 admin center.
From Microsoft 365 admin center, click on the Active users page. Then select the particular user for which you want to reset the password, click on Reset password from the command bar or select the icon like below:
Then you can auto-generate the password or you can create the password like below:
This is how we can reset the password of an Office 365 user.
How to delete a user in Office 365
Now, we will see how to delete a user in Office 365.
Select the Office 365 user which you want to delete in the Active users in Office 365 admin center.
Then click on the Delete user button like below:
Or, you can also select the user and click on the Delete icon like below:
Note: We can restore the deleted user and their data within 30 days after you delete the user.
Click on the Delete user button which will delete the user from Office 365.
How to reset the password of a user in Office 365
Now, we will see how to reset the password of a user in Office 365. Here, we will see how to reset the password for multiple users in Office 365.
Login to Office 365 admin center.
Go to Users -> Active users, then select and click on the key icon or click on Reset password like below. This will open the Reset password screen, where you can either auto-generated password or you can create a new password by selecting the Let me create the password.
How to reset the password of multiple users in Office 365
We can also reset the password of multiple users in Office 365.
From the active users select multiple users and then click on the Reset password button from the command bar like below, which will open the Reset password page.
Apart from this, without selecting any user click on the (…) -> Reset password from the command bar.
This will open the Reset password page where you can select multiple users and click on Select.
Then you can select Auto-generate password and select Let me create the password to create a password by yourself.
Then click on Reset button.
Then it will show the successful message after it changes the password. You can click on show password where you can see the password also.
You may like following Office 365 tutorials:
- How to change SharePoint Online site URL
- PnP PowerShell commands for SharePoint Online Site
- Create a site collection in SharePoint Online
- How to Add Nintex forms for Office 365 to SharePoint Online Sites?
- rms online is configured for this tenant but is turned off, please turn on in office 365 to enable
- Office 365 incoming and outgoing mail server details
- Add Global Navigation Links and Headings in SharePoint Online Office 365 Site
- Term Store Management in SharePoint Online Office 365
- Steps to Migrate email from one Office 365 tenant to another Office 365 tenant
- Office 365 DLP Policy Stuck Deleting Security & Compliance Center
- Microsoft has enabled security defaults to keep your account secure Office 365
In this Office 365 tutorial, we learned the below things:
- How to add a new user in Office 365
- How to assign a license to Office 365 user
- How to reset the password of an Office 365 user
- How to delete a user in Office 365
I am Bijay from Odisha, India. Currently working in my own venture TSInfo Technologies in Bangalore, India. I am Microsoft Office Servers and Services (SharePoint) MVP (5 times). I works in SharePoint 2016/2013/2010, SharePoint Online Office 365 etc. Check out My MVP Profile.. I also run popular SharePoint web site EnjoySharePoint.com