This SharePoint Online tutorial, I will explain how to add a link to a SharePoint document library in SharePoint Online or SharePoint 2013/3016.
Recently, I got a requirement to add a link to a SharePoint Online document library so that business users can add a link to a document instead of uploading a document to the document library.
Add link to a document library in SharePoint
Open SharePoint Online site, Go to SharePoint Online/2013/2016 document library where you want to add the link.
Go to Library Settings of document library. In the “Library Settings” page we can able to see “Advanced Settings” below the “Versioning Settings”. Click on “Advanced Settings“.
In the “Advanced Settings” page, in the Allow management of content types? page enable the Yes option. Click on Ok.
In the Library settings page scroll down the page, we can able to see “Add from existing site content types“, click on that. After enabling Allow management content types only we can see the option “Add from existing site content types”.
Now we can see “Add Content Types” page. Select “All Groups” from the “Select site content types from “dropdown. From the “Available site content type “dropdown select “Link to a Document” and add to Content types to add box, Click on Ok.
Now go to the SharePoint Document Library and try to add New Document we can able to see the “Link to Documents” option click on that. Now we can able to link to the Document library.
You may like following SharePoint document library tutorials:
- Add multiple Office templates as a content type to a document library in SharePoint Online/2013/2016
- Rating and Generate File plan Report in SharePoint 2013/2016 Document Library
- SharePoint Unique Permissions to List & Document Library in SharePoint Online Step by Step Tutorial
- Sync SharePoint Online Document Library with OneDrive and Work with Files Offline
- How to directly save Excel File into SharePoint Online Document Library
- Migrate files or documents from File Shares to SharePoint Online document library Using FREE Microsoft SharePoint Migration Tool
- Hide Document Library or Lists using PowerShell in SharePoint 2016 or SharePoint 2013
- [Solved] The list cannot be imported because a Microsoft SharePoint Foundation-compatible spreadsheet application is not installed or is not compatible with your browser
I hope this SharePoint tutorial, helps to add a link to a document library in SharePoint Online. So that business users can give a document located in a different location in the document library instead of uploading the document.
Hello Everyone!! I am Bhawana a SharePoint MVP and having about 10+ years of SharePoint experience as well as in .Net technologies. I have worked in all the versions of SharePoint from wss to Office 365. I have good exposure in Customization and Migration using Nintex, Metalogix tools. Now exploring more in SharePoint 2016 🙂 Hope here I can contribute and share my knowledge to the fullest. As I believe “There is no wealth like knowledge and no poverty like ignorance”