This Office 365 tutorial, we will discuss how to add global navigation links and headings in SharePoint online Office 365 site using out of box feature. The same approach will work for SharePoint 2016 and SharePoint 2013 also.
Follow the below steps to Add Global Navigation Links and Headings in SharePoint.
Open your SharePoint Online site in the browser. You can check out various browsers supported in SharePoint online. Then click on the gear icon and then click on Site Settings which will open the Site Settings page.
In the SharePoint Site Settings Page, click on Navigation which is under Look and Feel section like below:
- SharePoint Left Navigation Branding using CSS
- Add left navigation links using REST API in SharePoint
Then in the Navigation Settings page, in the Global Navigation section, select “Structural Navigation: Display the navigation items below the current site” option. And then uncheck Show subsites and Show pages check boxes.
Then in the Current Navigation choose, “Structural Navigation: Display only the navigation items below the current site” option and then uncheck Show subsites and Show pages checkboxes.
Then in the “Structural Navigation: Editing and Sorting” section, select Global Navigation and then click on “Add Heading” and give Navigation heading like below:
Then select in one of the heading and click on Add link and add various links like below:
The Global Navigation links will appear like below:
After this Save the page and now if you will check in the site, the global navigation will appear like below:
You may also like following SharePoint tutorials:
- SharePoint Online left navigation and top Navigation branding using CSS
- PowerApps: Create a navigation menu using the Gallery Control
- Steps to Create a managed metadata navigation from Term Store in SharePoint Online
- SharePoint Left Navigation or Quick Launch Navigation Menu Customization in SharePoint
- PowerApps show hide fields based on Yes/No column
- Create and Deploy a custom theme in SharePoint Online
- Nintex Form & Workflow for Office 365 Training
- SharePoint Carousel Example
- SharePoint Development Training
I hope this SharePoint customization tutorial helps us to learn how to add Global Navigation Links and Headings in SharePoint Online sites.
Hello Everyone!! I am Bhawana a SharePoint MVP and having about 10+ years of SharePoint experience as well as in .Net technologies. I have worked in all the versions of SharePoint from wss to Office 365. I have good exposure in Customization and Migration using Nintex, Metalogix tools. Now exploring more in SharePoint 2016 🙂 Hope here I can contribute and share my knowledge to the fullest. As I believe “There is no wealth like knowledge and no poverty like ignorance”